Form controls disappeared after export

fluffyozzy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:04
Hope someone can shed some light on this.

I have imported the contents of my database into a new database, as all the testing is completed and want a clean start without any dummy data in it or anything. My main form which is where most of the interaction with the database goes on appears blank with no controls on it on form view. In design view, I can see everything (buttons, search fields, subforms etc) but turn into form view, it's blank (except the header). Does anyone know why this happened?

Open the form in design view and make sure you have this:

Allow Additions = YES

If you have NO records and Allow Additions = No then the the form will be blank.

I hope this solves your problem.

Great suggestion - but Allow Additions were already set to Yes and the form was still blank.

I just realised that when doing this, there needs to be at least one line of data in all the fields the form is opening with (it is based on a query). Once I have done that, the form is opening up normally.

Thanks anyway :D

Just so you don't think I was guessing, have a look at the attachment.

I has a query as is source, when you click the cmd it will set the Allow Additions to False and then presto all Blank.

Open it again and the Allow Additons will be set to True and all is well.

I had this happen to me, drove me mad until I found it.

When you think about it Access is right.

Attachments

Aww, I wasn't suggesting it was guesswork at all! LOL

Thanks for the example, it is certainly a useful thing to remember in the future. I just didn't get why my form was blank even after I set the Allow Additions to Yes...

I think it was because of the way the query is set up on which the form is based on. The form has a search box, a listbox that shows the results of the query (based on an example I found on this forum), and once you click on a result, the listbox passes the values to some fields on the same form. The underlying query therefore needs to be able to find values to pass it back to the fields. When there's no data anywhere, the query therefore doesn't work, hence the form is blank. I'm not 100% certain this is the explanation for what is happening, but it is the most plausible explanation I can come up with. What I didn't understand was why the buttons (the menu for various things) didn't come up either, as these are not based on the query I am opening the form with. Weird huh?

Nonetheless, learning as I go and I thank you for your response :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom