Linked Table Manager in Access Runtime (1 Viewer)

ruud

Local time
Today, 19:49
Database with front- & back end.
From mdb to mde to Runtime.

The linked table manager is grey if the access application is installed in a different folder then initially set.

I have no idea how to solve this.

Help is welcome.

Ruud:confused:

Moniker

VBA Pro
Local time
Today, 12:49
I shouldn't be grayed out just because it's stored in a different folder. It will be grayed out if either a) you are right-clicking on a table that is not linked or b) you are accessing the Linked Table Manager from the menus and you do not have a table that is linked highlighted in the database window.

allan57

Allan
Local time
Today, 18:49
I dont think the Linked Table Manager is supported in an access runtime db.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 10:49
You can't make design changes in Runtime. That is the problem. You need to make the changes in the mdb and the create the mde and then the runtime should roll with the flow.

You might be able to programmatically have it relink the tables when the program is opened, but that is going to be a fair amount of work to implement.

Moniker

VBA Pro
Local time
Today, 12:49
"A fair amount of work" is putting it lightly. We have a relinking routine that we use internally (and it has some proprietary stuff, so I'm not sharing it). I will say that with all the options and all the error checking that is built-in, it's a good 400 lines of code. It can be done, but you'd better be pretty good with VBA if you're going to go down that road.

A different, much easier way around this would be to place everything they are linking to either on a network drive (so that it doesn't matter where they install the program) or in a location on their computer outside of the installation directory. For example, you could put everything they link to in "C:\your_DB_name\linked_data" and have the program look there, regardless of where they install it.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 10:49
that's what I've done in the past. Even for my replicated database, I made sure that the replications all lived within the same folder on C:

ruud

Local time
I shouldn't be grayed out just because it's stored in a different folder. It will be grayed out if either a) you are right-clicking on a table that is not linked or b) you are accessing the Linked Table Manager from the menus and you do not have a table that is linked highlighted in the database window.

Thanks for thinking with me.
I will solve it as followes:

- I will install it in the original-linking-structure (front-end & back-end)
- Copy the back-end to the place required. (some network place)
- Link the front end to the new copied back-end. (because it works when it has been put on the same place as originally)
- Then delete the 'first 'back-end.
- Then I copy the front-end to whatever folder.

ruud

Local time
I dont think the Linked Table Manager is supported in an access runtime db.

- Link the front end to the new copied back-end. (because it works when it has been put on the same place as originally)

ruud

Local time
You can't make design changes in Runtime. That is the problem. You need to make the changes in the mdb and the create the mde and then the runtime should roll with the flow.

You might be able to programmatically have it relink the tables when the program is opened, but that is going to be a fair amount of work to implement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom