How To Ask Questions the Smart Way (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Today, 06:58
If you are new to forums then please follow the link below for excellent advice on proper forum etiquette. Some older users may want to have a read of it too. :rolleyes:

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way.

maxmangion

AWF VIP
Local time
it is a very interesting link, i like reading such articles ... btw why don't you put it as a sticky, or maybe somewhere else, or maybe in a less busy section ;)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
very good link :D I like the bit on subject headers and titles

the subject header is your golden opportunity to attract qualified experts' attention in around 50 characters or fewer. Don't waste it on babble like “Please help me” (let alone “PLEASE HELP ME!!!!”; messages with subjects like that get discarded by reflex). Don't try to impress us with the depth of your anguish; use the space for a super-concise problem description instead.

Col

dopedealer

Systems Analyst
Local time
:D "What we are, unapologetically, is hostile to people who seem to be unwilling to think or to do their own homework before asking questions. People like that are time sinks — they take without giving back, they waste time we could have spent on another question more interesting and another person more worthy of an answer. We call people like this “losers” (and for historical reasons we sometimes spell it “lusers”)."

Well Said that!! :p

Crilen007

Uhm, Title... *shrug*
Local time
Yesterday, 22:58
Wow...

Just yesturday I had someone say I was too condescending when answering questions sometimes...

I don't mean to be.. and wow.. this just explained it perfectly.

D

dave_132

Yeap, I'm a newbie but certainly appreciate this sticky.

I'm fairly active as a career counselor on an unrelated board. My personal pet peeve is the "Plz sir plz" post...

J

Jacky kenna

I have a part finished Access project. Where can I get someone to coomplete it London

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 07:58
SJ McAbney said:
If you are new to forums then please follow the link below for excellent advice on proper forum etiquette. Some older users may want to have a read of it too. :rolleyes:

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way.

Pretty nice article SJ, but I figure that this was written to
"educate" hackers. I do not really consider meself a hacker ,
maybe more of backer. :D

micks55

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks. I'll have a read and be a better person.

Greyowlsl

Mlak Mlak
Local time
Today, 15:58
It is a good article but its almost too good that it makes us younger, less experienced people scared to ask questions unless its extremely technical, important, and hard for you to answer; What if the problem seems simple and is actualy hard. Ive also noticed the large amount of soposed 'newbie' posts including mine :p.

I have used access alot lately and know some simple vb code aswell as sql, but do i need to know every vb and sql command before i am worthy of asking a question, also many websites bearly answer most of the questions.
It is from them where i learnt most of the codeing but now its a dead end.

should i just go back to access help topics and work out all my problems myself?

Sorry if i annoyed anyone with this post.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Yesterday, 22:58
good link...

...except for the part about spelling and grammar - lots of people type how they talk and also english is a 2nd (3rd 4th 5th etc) language for some of us. from what i have already read, fortunately everyone here is helpful and considerate!

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Fifty2One said:
good link...

...except for the part about spelling and grammar - lots of people type how they talk and also english is a 2nd (3rd 4th 5th etc) language for some of us. from what i have already read, fortunately everyone here is helpful and considerate!

There is the location profile entry that may help to show for whom English may be a second language.

tehNellie

Registered User.
Local time

I'll give plenty of leeway for general bad grammar, I'm not that much of a grammar nazi and I've been floating around long enough but a lot of what that particular point holds strikes me as true enough.

If your question reads like a Prince Album sleeve the chances are I'll give up reading it after a couple of lines. L337 speak or this wierdy shorthand that kids seem to like writing in nowadays (illiteracy or just P*ssing off the old farts?) where everything is mis-spelt and punctuation is an optional extra will have the same result, me not reading it. Especially when the gist of the question is "do my homework for me".

krc777

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:58
Great advice. I always do searching in FAQs, google etc...before bothering help blogs but hardly ever mention it in a post. Thanks for the heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom