Access World Forums

Access World Forums (https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Politics & Current Events (https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing - (https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=282773)

AccessBlaster 02-24-2019 08:58 AM

Re: NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing -

If NASA's data can be proven to be a hoax, regarding sea level. I predict they will stop sharing said data. It has to fit the narrative 100% or they will either threaten you or pull their own numbers.

Keep the herd moving in one direction, while they move the goal post in another direction. Classic government behavior.

The_Doc_Man 02-25-2019 07:05 AM

Here is an interesting take on the subject from James Corbett.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huKY5DzrcLI

The_Doc_Man 02-25-2019 06:55 PM

This next entry "calls a spade a spade" (and calls a fraud a fraud). It expressly deals with the lies of omission and obfuscation used to make the "hockey stick" graph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvngRiNl-9E

AccessBlaster 02-26-2019 02:02 PM

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-en...e-to-ask-if-ok
Quote:

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: “There’s scientific consensus that the lives of children are going to be very difficult. And it does lead young people to have a legitimate question: Is it OK to still have children?” she said.
Does this directly correlate with less progressives in the future? Global Warming = less progressives.

The deniers will just keep breeding regardless of the pseudoscience. :p

The_Doc_Man 02-27-2019 07:54 PM

This little video talks about the failed predictions of the global warming alarmists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INvlbY21G9M

This also names the names of doom-sayers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYM0LZqBp_I

To those who insist that AGW or AGCC is real, here is your problem. When your models make predictions and those predictions fail to materialize, you run into the very serious issue that your model must be flawed. Remember, this is a BASIC SCIENTIFIC PRINCIPLE: When reality and math disagree, the MATH is wrong. Reality is always right. And we see so many failing predictions that we HAVE to doubt the models in use.

Mark_ 02-27-2019 09:32 PM

Just a tidbit that shows why I've never been convinced carbon emissions are the ONLY thing causing climate change that humans do.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/im...mount-pinatubo

If one eruption can cause notable global cooling for over a year, there are far to many things man is doing to concentrate only on one indicator.

Couple this with 10% of the planets surface being covered by agriculture and there are a host of other ways man can change weather patterns. The known effect urban areas have on surface temperatures (and by extension how that effects heat transfer to the atmosphere) means we should be looking at multiple causes and ways to mitigate each. After all, if the world is gonna end in 12 years if we don’t address climate change, may as well make sure were looking to fix the right problem.

Galaxiom 02-27-2019 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_ (Post 1613718)
Just a tidbit that shows why I've never been convinced carbon emissions are the ONLY thing causing climate change that humans do.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/im...mount-pinatubo

If one eruption can cause notable global cooling for over a year, there are far to many things man is doing to concentrate only on one indicator.

Mt Pinatubo emitted vast quantities of Sulphur Dioxide and particulates into the stratosphere and caused cooling by absorbing radiation before it got through the atmosphere. The science behind this is very well understood and uses the same models as those modelling the effect of greenhouse gases.

Climate Change Deniers often falsely claim that one volcano emits more greenhouse gases than decades of human activity. The truth is that the total emitted by all volcanoes is on average only about one percent of what is emitted by humans.

Quote:

Couple this with 10% of the planets surface being covered by agriculture and there are a host of other ways man can change weather patterns. The known effect urban areas have on surface temperatures (and by extension how that effects heat transfer to the atmosphere) means we should be looking at multiple causes and ways to mitigate each.
Please post a link to the modelling that demonstrates the effect of this on climate is greater than the effect of Greenhouse gases.

The_Doc_Man 02-28-2019 08:12 AM

Quote:

uses the same models as those modelling the effect of greenhouse gases.
Ah, but that is the whole point, don't you SEE it? The models don't seem to be doing a good job. I don't know that I can offer a better model, but I learned a long time ago to not bet on a lame horse.

G, you don't want to hear this; you won't let yourself hear this. But our side of the argument has found too many cases where it looks like someone is "cooking the books" to get the result they want without regard for one of the BASE CONCEPTS of science - data-source consistency. When you compare apples and oranges, you frequently get a fruit salad, which usually looks like a non-homogeneous mess.

Michael Mann's infamous "hockey-stick" graph uses INCONSISTENT data sources and somehow whitewashes data in a way that I find unconscionable. I've seen comparisons of the data and to be honest cannot believe that his paper wasn't outright rejected over questionable data treatments. Mann has lost a lawsuit that he filed against someone for the slander of his work and I have seen too many reports that compare raw data vs what he posted. They don't agree at all. I have posted videos here where the data sources WERE referenced explicitly.

I remain a skeptic because I smell skullduggery. Pure plain and simple.

Steve R. 02-28-2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galaxiom (Post 1613719)
Mt Pinatubo emitted vast quantities of Sulphur Dioxide and particulates into the stratosphere and caused cooling by absorbing radiation before it got through the atmosphere.

Consider your wording. Cooling is not a result of the absorption of electromagnetic radiation, absorption results in heating. The cooling was the result of increasing reflectivity (albedo) from clouds. Furthermore, the stratosphere is part of the atmosphere's structure.

Note the Wikipedia citation:

Quote:

The Krakatoa eruption injected an unusually large amount of sulfur dioxide (SO2) gas high into the stratosphere, which was subsequently transported by high-level winds all over the planet. This led to a global increase in sulfuric acid (H2SO4) concentration in high-level cirrus clouds. The resulting increase in cloud reflectivity (or albedo) reflected more incoming light from the sun than usual, and cooled the entire planet until the suspended sulfur fell to the ground as acid precipitation

Mark_ 02-28-2019 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galaxiom (Post 1613719)
Please post a link to the modelling that demonstrates the effect of this on climate is greater than the effect of Greenhouse gases.

Well, please post a scientific study that shows there is NO effect from non-carbon emission that affect climate. Of course if you are unable to, your entire argument would then be rubbish, wouldn't it?

Yes, the volcano IS well understood. I think you missed the point.

If you focus entirely on what you are assuming is the proper response you miss that there could be other issues at play. As we KNOW there are other factors besides carbon emissions that impact the environment and the climate, seems rather silly to think only one item needs be addressed to fix the problem.

Steve R. 02-28-2019 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_ (Post 1613817)
If you focus entirely on what you are assuming is the proper response you miss that there could be other issues at play. As we KNOW there are other factors besides carbon emissions that impact the environment and the climate, seems rather silly to think only one item needs be addressed to fix the problem.

I provided a brief summary on this thread in Post #68 concerning other issues that need to be considered and how "global warming" (aka "climate change"), is being deceptively sold.

Mark_ 02-28-2019 09:39 AM

Steve,

You may have missed one point. People are willing to spend an excessively on fear. Those selling fear can become very wealthy.

As Al Gore has been mentioned, lets see how "Carbon is the only thing to worry about" has done for him?

Steve R. 02-28-2019 12:12 PM

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez excessive fear mongering video clip: The World Will End In Twelve Years!

Responding to the video clip, Matthew Kohen wrote: "The world is going to end if you dont give us all your money." Followed up by a second comment: "The world is going to end is the oldest con in the book. It usually comes from the religious right but now it's coming from the green left. Al Gore ran this scam and made a billion dollars. A.o.c. is trying to run this scam and we're fools if we fall for it ."

Galaxiom 02-28-2019 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man (Post 1613806)
Michael Mann's infamous "hockey-stick" graph uses INCONSISTENT data sources and somehow whitewashes data in a way that I find unconscionable. I've seen comparisons of the data and to be honest cannot believe that his paper wasn't outright rejected over questionable data treatments.

Sounds like the same attitude as the religious rejecting Evolution because of the Piltdown Man fake. There was one thing wrong therefore everything is wrong.

Like them you prefer to presume that hundreds of thousands of scientists are all in a grand collusion.

Galaxiom 02-28-2019 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_ (Post 1613826)
Those selling fear can become very wealthy.

Definitely. Fossil fuel corporations have made an artform of convincing the gullible that life would go back to the stone age without fossil fuels.