Access World Forums

Access World Forums (https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Politics & Current Events (https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing - (https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=282773)

Uncle Gizmo 02-16-2019 07:38 AM

Re: NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing -

>>> If science can be said to contain the concept of sin <<<

According to Dr Jordan B Peterson, the word sin means missing the target!

AccessBlaster 02-16-2019 08:19 AM

It really boils down to credibility; the alarmist has none. In late 60’s early 70’s it was the coming “mini ice age”, obviously that never materialize.

Then in 1975 Science article by geochemist Wallace Broecker of Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory: "Climatic Change: Are We on the Brink of a Pronounced Global Warming?""

It wasn’t until Al Gore lost his presidential bid in 2000, the phrase global warming was really developed for public consumption.

On January 26, 2006 the Washington Post stated Al “believes humanity may have only 10 years left to save the planet from turning into a total frying pan.” BTW Al was the only one smart enough to save the world back then.

After that fiasco they needed a new catch phrase, and climate change or weird weather became the new tag line.

Apocalypse Delayed; About every 10-12 years it seems we are on the brink of destruction, we have reached the point of no return again.

Just the other day a freshman congresswoman declared "We’re, like, the world is going to end in 12 years if we don’t address climate change"

By all accounts the statue of liberty should be half way under water by now, I just checked its not even up to the grass.

Obviously, I taken a few liberties and have my tongue firmly in cheek. But the moral outrage from the alarmist in this forum is typical and expected. It boils down to credibility, or the lack of it.

Edit: John Stossel is not an idiot, he has more class an integrity then any climate guru.

isladogs 02-16-2019 12:49 PM

Perhaps this whole issue is viewed differently in the US to Europe.
I first heard concerns about the rise in CO2 levels back and the likely impact on the climate back in the early 1970s. When Al Gore spoke about the issues, it wasn't regarded as new information. What he may have done was bring that information to a wider public.

What is news to me is this 97% figure.
That seems to be endlessly repeated by those who oppose the vast majority of scientific research findings. It is also being recycled within this thread. Personally I don't care if it was invented by a cartoonist as the figure isn't used in the scientific community as a whole. Nor is it in general use in the UK/Europe.

I did watch part of the programme by John Stossel. I'd never heard of him before. I also recognised the guy from the Cato Institute. The program provided as much serious scientific debate as the Jerry Springer show.

I've not read anything in this lengthy thread to sway my opinion. Nor have any of these video clips been, in my view, a serious analysis of the evidence.
Hopefully I will never need to watch rubbish like John Stossel again, no matter what the subject.

I normally keep out of threads like this as they tend to degenerate like an episode of the Springer show. I do regret that the thread has become personal. Buttons are deliberately being pressed to provoke a response...with some success

AccessBlaster 02-16-2019 01:47 PM

For better or worse Al Gore is the face of the climate debate, there is nothing more Jerry Springer then Al Gore.

You can try and distance yourself from him but you cannot escape the dire predictions that have failed to materialize.

isladogs 02-16-2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccessBlaster (Post 1612148)
For better or worse Al Gore is the face of the climate debate, there is nothing more Jerry Springer then Al Gore.

You can try and distance yourself from him but you cannot escape the dire predictions that have failed to materialize.

Possibly for those of you in the USA
Certainly not to those of us in Europe (as the UK still just about is!)
I'm not trying to align myself or distance myself from him.

I've said repeatedly in this thread that some climate models have been inaccurate. I've also provided several links to detailed scientific evidence.

By definition, no models (not just those relating to climate change) can ever be 100% accurate as they are modelling the future.

However the data is becoming more and more detailed with every passing year and the overall trend remains on course for continued global warming over the next few decades UNLESS significant changes are made.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to provide a detailed critique of the scientific evidence on which the climate model recently provided by the UK Met Office was based. From that, perhaps you will be able to submit a factual refutation of its findings.

I'll be here if you care to do so.... :rolleyes:

AccessBlaster 02-16-2019 04:14 PM

Al Gore has single-handedly delegitimized your religion / pseudoscience with all of his failed claims and predictions. This is the legacy he has brought to the debate. He is the high priest, The Climate Guru.:D

isladogs 02-16-2019 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccessBlaster (Post 1612150)
Al Gore has single-handedly delegitimized your religion / pseudoscience with all of his failed claims and predictions. This is the legacy he has brought to the debate. He is the high priest, The Climate Guru.:D

Oh dear....hardly worth replying to.
I'm not religious and the evidence isn't pseudoscience

Just for just a moment I thought it was going to be a serious response to :
Quote:

provide a detailed critique of the scientific evidence on which the climate model recently provided by the UK Met Office was based. From that, perhaps you will be able to submit a factual refutation of its findings.

AccessBlaster 02-16-2019 07:36 PM

Its all in fun Colin.

Uncle Gizmo 02-16-2019 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccessBlaster (Post 1612164)
Its all in fun Colin.

Well, it should be! But some are SO SERIOUS about it, I reckon if they had the power, they would actually hurt those with a contrary view. (From Dr Jordan B Peterson)

If that's the case, then I would suggest a suitable ecological execution device, a large concave mirror!

I saw a 2nd world war search light at a Spanish solar furnace facility.

The guide demonstrated its power by placing a lump of wood at the focus. Most impressive!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Galaxiom 02-17-2019 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Gizmo (Post 1612176)
I saw a 2nd world war search light at a Spanish solar furnace facility.

The guide demonstrated its power by placing a lump of wood at the focus. Most impressive!

A friend has one of them. It can melt anything at the focus, even a piece of brick.

I think they were an arc lamp.

The_Doc_Man 02-17-2019 06:18 AM

For what it is worth, the ancient Greek philosopher Archimedes supposedly staged an attempt to ignite a ship by using highly polished metal shields as a multi-faceted mirror to focus sunlight on the sails. There was an episode of the series MythBusters where they tried - and failed - to do that.

https://mythresults.com/episode46

The_Doc_Man 02-17-2019 06:24 AM

OK, I have been chastised for not showing better references. Here is a video that DOES show (specific) references AND shows long-term cycles that CANNOT possibly be due to human industrialization.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mxmo9DskYE

AccessBlaster 02-17-2019 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Gizmo (Post 1612176)
Well, it should be! But some are SO SERIOUS about it, I reckon if they had the power, they would actually hurt those with a contrary view. (From Dr Jordan B Peterson)

Both sides will never admits this but, everyone skews the data to fit their arguments. I clearly take liberties to needle, whilst the opposition denounces findings from climatologist who hold several degrees and are publish on the subject. Its total gamesmanship not science.

The_Doc_Man 02-23-2019 03:13 PM

Part of the big argument is based on Michael Mann's "hockey stick" graph. Dr. Tim Ball called him down on it. It went to court. But Dr. Mann LOST the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcdPM5FY8Ug

It is an "inconvenient truth" that the "hockey stick" graph was a fraud.

The_Doc_Man 02-23-2019 11:21 PM

And here is another example of an inconvenient truth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8fFpd-S-D4

In this case, the "sea level rise" data has been called into question. The author of this article seems to have some solid evidence of intentionally misleading us regarding sea level issues... or non-issues. I'm not even going to claim that the video shows proof of fraud. But it certainly calls into question a lot of the recent NASA headlines.