Blue's Age poll. (1 Viewer)

Which age group do you fall in?

• Total voters

BlueIshDan

☠
Local time
Today, 18:49
I have been wanting to get a feel for the age groups on this forum. I don't know why, but the mind thinks what the mind wants to think. lol

If you don't mind, please select which age range you are in! :)

EDIT:
Also, this age poll is more for my knowledge of how much experience/professionalism goes with age(time).

Last edited:

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 21:49
I have been meaning to start this poll too, but thought some people might feel it was unnecessary or personal and might shoot me down lol. So I never bothered. Good that you started. Ha Ha !

PS: You forgot to add the poll ! You can use the thread tools to add poll to this question. If you are still thinking how to go about doing it.

BlueIshDan

☠
Local time
I was working on the poll and had been disrupted by someone needing help with printers lol. Up now! :D

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
I am pretty sure (most of the email service providers) do not allow under 13's to get registered for an email account let alone they start building Databases. So having someone in the 0-9 category would be a jaw dropper TBH. :cool:

BlueIshDan

☠
Local time
At 16 I had a 12 year old boy guiding me with PHP problems I was having.
He had started at the age of 8. Anything can happen! lol

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 17:49
Indeed. My first programming class was back in 1981, when I was the ripe old age of 10.

I almost miss learning BASIC on those old Apple II's.

Almost.

BlueIshDan

☠
Local time
We should do a poll asking what age you started programming! :D hahaha

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
I wrote my first program in BASIC on my mother's TRS-80 color computer at age 7 after learning many commands by spending hours typing the code out in the programs book. Yes, anything can happen. ;)

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
Those were the days on my Spectrum 48k, those rubber keys were a real menace... :eek:

BlueIshDan

☠
Local time
I learned by opening existing programs/scripts and messing with them lol.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Oh, I fiddled with the Vic-20s in my 3rd classroom before then, but that was mostly me typing in the games you could find listed in magazines. I didn't get interested in actually programming things myself until my parents showed me that BASIC summer class in the local school district's summer flyer.

Until then, astronomy and simple physics seemed much, MUCH cooler.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:49
I learned programming in college (Fortran, COBAL, PL\1, assembly language, BASIC). My first job after college was working on Apple II in assembly language (~1982). My first computer cost $100 (don't remember the name), never could get it write/read to cassette tape.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Were your parents and/or family into computers?

Not even remotely. Even if they were, we couldn't afford them - my dad made $5 an hour the whole time I grew up, and my mom typically added another $75 to $100 a week to that by grooming dogs. Between their massive dislike of anything computer-related and the money crunch, there were no computers in the house until I managed to buy a C-128 during high school. Hell, even when I was in college, my dad always pushed as hard as he could for me to switch to electrical engineering rather than computer science.

None of my siblings, aunts, uncles, or cousins ever wound up doing anything computer-related, either.

Last edited:

BigHappyDaddy

Coding Monkey Wanna-Be
Local time
Today, 14:49
I wrote my first program in BASIC on my mother's TRS-80 color computer at age 7 after learning many commands by spending hours typing the code out in the programs book. Yes, anything can happen. ;)

This is almost exactly how I started. Biggest difference was that I was about 12. Almost retirement age....;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom