Blue's Age poll. (1 Viewer)

Which age group do you fall in?

• Total voters

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:41
I am 18 years of age - Closely coming to 19.

I say that with hesitation - due to people stereotypically thinking of people my age as mindless drunken messes. But my oh my am I the opposite

I do think in some cases knowledge does come with age. But on the whole, Knowledge is for those who seek it.

I seem to be the baby of this forum so far

Please don't treat me like it

By the time I was your age, I was married (still married to her), was in the military, making my (our) own decisions, etc. In your trek towards my age, you will make many mistakes both perceived by others and also by yourself. Back then, we had no internet, TV was just coming on line and the telephone was hooked to the wall. We were raised under a veil of uncertainty especially the cold war and all its nuclear annihilation scenarios. However, through all of that we had fun. We successfully raised children who are upstanding in the community. I was opinionated back then, much like you are now and as you have seen, I have not changed much. As for the drunken masses, I have had my share of next morning headaches and believe that these events were important in my growing up. There were a few rules I lived by which among these were; treat everybody with respect, take no Sh_it from anyone and be the best example for your children you can be' .

I can tell you this, unless you want to become a politician, keep you head high, you are no less or no greater than anyone else, make your decision on the facts that will affect you, your wife (partner) and children, your immediate friends and community members.

Oh, and when you get older try not to get into any Pi..ing contest as I have done in other threads in this forum. At my age, you cannot think fast or smart enough to win anything and it only serves to raise your blood pressure. Rem. Life is short enough as it is. You have to live every day as if it were your last and rem, those days that you are complaining, ranting or feeling sorry for yourself, etc., rarely amount to a 'hill of beans' and are lost forever.

You will do fine. I have no doubt.

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
Today, 22:41
Sorry Connor you lost me with this

Brian

Will Knowledge become obsolete or will it become even more powerful :)

That was my point :p sorry for the confusion

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
By the time I was your age, I was married (still married to her), was in the military, making my (our) own decisions, etc. In your trek towards my age, you will make many mistakes both perceived by others and also by yourself. Back then, we had no internet, TV was just coming on line and the telephone was hooked to the wall. We were raised under a veil of uncertainty especially the cold war and all its nuclear annihilation scenarios. However, through all of that we had fun. We successfully raised children who are upstanding in the community. I was opinionated back then, much like you are now and as you have seen, I have not changed much. As for the drunken masses, I have had my share of next morning headaches and believe that these events were important in my growing up. There were a few rules I lived by which among these were; treat everybody with respect, take no Sh_it from anyone and be the best example for your children you can be' .

I can tell you this, unless you want to become a politician, keep you head high, you are no less or no greater than anyone else, make your decision on the facts that will affect you, your wife (partner) and children, your immediate friends and community members.

Oh, and when you get older try not to get into any Pi..ing contest as I have done in other threads in this forum. At my age, you cannot think fast or smart enough to win anything and it only serves to raise your blood pressure. Rem. Life is short enough as it is. You have to live every day as if it were your last and rem, those days that you are complaining, ranting or feeling sorry for yourself, etc., rarely amount to a 'hill of beans' and are lost forever.

You will do fine. I have no doubt.

That post was inspiring to say the least Bladerunner, and I thank you!

I heard a saying a while back, "Raise your children to be stronger than you ever were."

Still one of the best phrases I have heard to date.

Speak tomorrow and I know you still have a lot to accomplish Bladerunner.

Have a lovely evening.

Connor

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Will Knowledge become obsolete or will it become even more powerful

That was my point sorry for the confusion

That my friend will depend upon what the future will hold. You and Brian both speak about knowledge becoming obsolete. I guess at my age, I have to agree to some extent.

Will the computer become obsolete or will the knowledge of the computer systems become obsolete. I doubt that we will ever go back to the older computer (i..e. still rem some parts of older languages) systems that are now obsolete. However, a good campfire being built without matches or lighter is a knowledge that will probably not become obsolete. That is unless you are in Space or an office building in a concrete jungle.LOL

I am just saying knowledge is relevant to what the future holds as to whether it becomes obsolete or not?

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Blade

I did say "can" not "does" become obsolete.

To take a narrow field IT , which was DP when I started, I enjoyed my 45 years working in it because of the changes, always something new to learn, but although the details may change the approach to system development didn't always, of course sometimes it did.
Yes 2+2 will always = 4

Brian

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
I found this the other day. Please take a moment and read all the way to the bottom:If you will take the time to read these. I promise you'll come away with an enlightened perspective.The subjects covered affect us all on a daily basis: Written by Andy Rooney, a man who had the gift of saying so much with so few words.
Enjoy.......

I've learned .... That the best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person.

I've learned .... That when you're in love, it shows.

I've learned .... That just one person saying to me, 'You've made my day!' makes my day.

I've learned .... That having a child fall asleep in your arms is one of the most peaceful feelings in the world.

I've learned .... That being kind is more important than being right.

I've learned .... That you should never say no to a gift from a child.

I've learned .... That I can always pray for someone when I don't have the strength to help him in some other way.

I've learned .... That no matter how serious your life requires you to be, everyone needs a friend to act goofy with.

I've learned .... That sometimes all a person needs is a hand to hold and a heart to understand.

I've learned .... That simple walks with my father around the block on summer nights when I was a child did wonders for me as an adult.

I've learned .... That life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.

I've learned .... That money doesn't buy class.

I've learned .... That it's those small daily happenings that make life so spectacular.

I've learned ... That under everyone's hard shell is someone who wants to be appreciated and loved.

I've learned .... That to ignore the facts does not change the facts.

I've learned .... That when you plan to get even with someone, you are only letting that person continue to hurt you.

I've learned .... That love, not time, heals all wounds.

I've learned .... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.

I've learned .... That everyone you meet deserves to be greeted with a smile.

I've learned .... That no one is perfect until you fall in love with them.

I've learned ... That life is tough, but I'm tougher.

I've learned .... That opportunities are never lost; someone will take the ones you miss.

I've learned .... That when you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

I've learned .... That I wish I could have told my Mom that I love her one more time before she passed away.

I've learned .... That one should keep his words both soft and tender, because tomorrow he may have to eat them.

I've learned .... That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

I've learned .... That when your newly born grandchild holds your little finger in his little fist, that you're hooked for life.

I've learned .... That everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it.

I've learned .... That the less time I have to work with, the more things I get done.

Have good day.

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
Andy Rooney is indeed a talent to behold! -

I found this the other day. Please take a moment and read all the way to the bottom:If you will take the time to read these. I promise you'll come away with an enlightened perspective.The subjects covered affect us all on a daily basis: Written by Andy Rooney, a man who had the gift of saying so much with so few words.
Enjoy.......

I've learned .... That the best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person.
I love speaking to the elderly because they are the ones who behold the best of stories. You would often find me staying behind after class had ended speaking to the elderly teachers (as well as the younger ones) about their experiences. I found the history teachers found joy in reminiscing in their past lives while they taught .

I've learned .... That when you're in love, it shows.
I have known my other half (not wife just yet) for about 3 years, we have been together for about 2 1/2 years of that time and I surely wouldn't change a thing about it. On many occasions my friends would ask me, "Do you think she's the one?" and I have always said, "I'm sure". They could tell we were in love and I always hope it stays that way!

I've learned .... That just one person saying to me, 'You've made my day!' makes my day.
I have found this always brings a smile to my face, when I used to work in a retail frozen food market. We also sold Alcoholic substances, I found it a hobby of mine to compliment people on their ages when coming to the counter with booze. I would say this and they would more than often reply with that phrase "You've made my day!" and it sure did brighten up mine!

I've learned .... That having a child fall asleep in your arms is one of the most peaceful feelings in the world.
I haven't quite had the pleasure of having this happen quite yet, although i do have a newly born 2nd cousin and I'm sure this will happen sometime soon :D
I've learned .... That being kind is more important than being right.
Although I may be proven to be stubborn, I always try being kind in what I say, Being bitter just isn't the way I am and I like it that way :p

I've learned .... That you should never say no to a gift from a child.
Again, Never really had this experience but when it does happen. I'm sure the gift won't go unseen.

I've learned .... That I can always pray for someone when I don't have the strength to help him in some other way.
I'm not religious but I do hope for them, I think a little acknowledgement of what they are doing (in a positive way) can go a long way.

I've learned .... That no matter how serious your life requires you to be, everyone needs a friend to act goofy with.
This is indeed true, No matter how professional or how old we are one of those friends are needed! :p
I've learned .... That sometimes all a person needs is a hand to hold and a heart to understand.
I have often found that I was that friend to be confided in, I never turned away anyone that would seek help. That just isn't the way I am, or have been raised. (I seem to find I turn into a guru when giving advice but when i need some I turn into a babbling buffoon :D)
I've learned .... That simple walks with my father around the block on summer nights when I was a child did wonders for me as an adult.
I never did this (as far as I can recall), and I would have loved to.
I've learned .... That life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
Isn't that the truth! (Even though I may be young) I have found my days feel like they have been cut in half since I was younger! Weekends but a blink (But that's just work talking).

I've learned .... That money doesn't buy class.
Money is poison in a sense, more often than not people with a lot of money have nothing to give. But people with so little seem to be the most generous.
I saw a video on the internet of a business man eating some pizza and a normal guy walks up to him and asks him for a slice (obviously the normal guy was just doing a test) the business man rudely swore at him in a manner of telling him to go away. (Words need not be said)

Then the same guy went up to a homeless guy who just moments before had been brought a pizza (From a different guy in the cast of the video - he was hiding) and he literally said he would share the whole thing with him! (he didn't take more than a slice, for good will but you get my point). Just goes to show "people with so little seem to be the most generous". (I do not say all rich people are like this because they're not - but on an average it would show).

I've learned .... That it's those small daily happenings that make life so spectacular.
Just like the "You've made my day!" Phrase, It really is a wonder!

I've learned ... That under everyone's hard shell is someone who wants to be appreciated and loved.
Have a friend that was this way. He hasn't had a girlfriend in his whole life, He started giving up and got depressed, me and all my other friends kept his spirits high and told him "If you wait around for things to happen, You will be disappointed, so go out and make things happen!"

He now has a girlfriend, Job and is starting to learn to drive! :D So proud and happy for him! A change of heart and a little encouragement goes a long way in my mind :p

I've learned .... That to ignore the facts does not change the facts.
It doesn't indeed , The more you shun pure evidence doesn't make the evidence any less true :)

I've learned .... That when you plan to get even with someone, you are only letting that person continue to hurt you.
Revenge is never a good thing, Although it may be sweet. In the end I think it is just stooping to their level. (Pranks are a different story, Because it is of course, all in jest ;))

I've learned .... That love, not time, heals all wounds.
True to an extent - Time does heal all wounds, Love just quickens the process !

I've learned .... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
I do try and surround myself with people older than me to gain a better perspective of life! (I've always been a sucker for 2 sides to every story) I love learning how life has changed and how we have adapted to life. I'm glad I am so far the youngest on this Poll, So that this can happen!

I've learned .... That everyone you meet deserves to be greeted with a smile.
Can't agree with this enough, (Sorry for rambling again but this story makes me smile every day) There is this man who walks past my house at the exact same time every morning before I make my morning commute to work. Every morning we smile at each other and say good morning! This has went on for a good 4 months, and I still am absent of his name! He on the other hand has recently went out of his way to find out what my name is and now he says "Good Morning Connor!" even when I'm not looking I know who it is. So now it is my mission to find out his name and reply with it!

I've learned .... That no one is perfect until you fall in love with them.
I had always said that before I had met my other half, Now she is the pure aspect of perfection to me :p

I've learned ... That life is tough, but I'm tougher.
Life has always been tough for me (Be it life hasn't been for long), But with my head held high so far I have overcome what I have come up against!

I've learned .... That opportunities are never lost; someone will take the ones you miss.
I'm glad to hear this one, because I believe there are many opportunities I have missed along the way. To know someone somewhere picked up that opportunity is always a nice thought!
I've learned .... That when you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

I think I jumped the gun on bitterness in the Revenge comment d:

I've learned .... That I wish I could have told my Mom that I love her one more time before she passed away.
I can not comment on this yet, but I have come to terms that one day she will be gone and until that day, I show her I love her and respect everything she has done for me over my time under her protection and also my fathers.

I've learned .... That one should keep his words both soft and tender, because tomorrow he may have to eat them.
I have indeed been a fool in the past, being too rash and not thinking before speaking. This has left me in many bad situations but I have learnt from this and thoroughly check before speaking.

I've learned .... That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.
Think I've covered this earlier about smiling :D
I've learned .... That when your newly born grandchild holds your little finger in his little fist, that you're hooked for life.
Not quite a grandchild but yet again by second cousin has done this and it is absolutely wonderful!

I've learned .... That everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it.
Quite the inspiring quote, I hope that the climb is smooth!
I've learned .... That the less time I have to work with, the more things I get done.
Story of my life, Very little time - so much to do!

If you did read everything - I thank you for your time! If you didn't , I don't blame you (I do tend to ramble). This was mainly for Bladerunners benefit to show I read every word and commented on each one ! :)

Thanks

Connor

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Andy Rooney is indeed a talent to behold! - If you did read everything - I thank you for your time! If you didn't , I don't blame you (I do tend to ramble). This was mainly for Bladerunners benefit to show I read every word and commented on each one ! :)

Thanks

Connor

You did not have to but thanks.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 16:41
Your going to make me feel old. Here is a link of the Mechanical Analogue Computers that reigned for about 40 years.
http://web.mit.edu/STS.035/www/PDFs/Newell.pdf
I was into electronics (tubes). Electrical and electronic analogs computers reigned supreme for about 10 years before they were surpassed and replaced by digital technology. Using (usually 3phase) Servos wired in a matrix to amplify signals, they had near 2,000 bytes resolution. What is the resolution of a 20 foot precision slide rule? I still own my Ivory coated precison slide-rule. Don't worry, no elephants were harmed. There was a major permafrost warming before all the panic of global warming that exposed massive ivory in Siberia. We used old sticks with ivory to build advanced structures that are still around today.

My first punch card program was in 1966 where we hacked a government IBM and had our process bill other agencies. B.T.W. there were no laws at all regarding that. Much later, I programmed huge boards of dual NAND gates, 256 on a circirt board. 16 circuit boards put together in a box with solder wires tranversing the boards. We unit tested each board with hardwired Nand gates. The memory cores were tiny iron rings with hand wrapped wires by specalist using microscopes.
That may not sound like much processing power. It was an on-board compuer for a popular fighter jet during the Veit Nam conflict. I was at Texas Instruments when the first digital IC were replacing Analogue Op Amps.

Later, I programmed assembly lanugage and 8K BASIC in ROM on an Ohio Scientific single board computer upgraded to 64K of RAM (it had a keyboard) on the single circuit board. I built a box with a small motercycle battery, modified a Zenith portable 9" B&W TV strapped to the top of the box. I literally had a portable computer. After getting a military surplus bi-directional 4 head audio cassette tape movements, I designed a Tape-Operating-System. Using serial network, I had 8 of these. Hired college students to enter data for a EPA contract at a fraction of the cost IBM charged. IBM had the EPA add a rider to the next bid that "the project required the punch cards be delivered". That cut me out despite having 100x the resolution of the punch card vendor.

Then I bought an Atari 400 and did machine language programming. Several of us spent six months creating a new game. It came out just in time for the end of the Atari 400. After that, I went to PDP 11 (DEC). Graduated to the larger DEC systems. I garnered funding for the first 3rd party interface to the DEC BI bus (128 bit). We only built a very few. It was used to manage a virtual reality simulator for an advanced NAVY fighter jet command launch computer programming.
After some of the other stuff I can't discuss, the Cold War ended. I was still heavy into electronics. So, I went to graduate school to pursue a degree in programming.

While in grad school, I personally met Steve Ballmer from Microsoft who was discussing the interesting things they were planning on. His visit on campus drew about 15 people back then. While all my college was in mainframe, I got a copy of Windows and began a side line using it. I remember over decade earlier, the producer of Start Treck Gene Roddenberry came to a previous college campus. He filled up the place. Steve Ballmer with a real vision hardly had anyone show up.

Analogue Computers are making a comeback. I am reading about an IC chip that with nano-technology will have over 100,000 servo's that can be programmed into various matrix arrays.

If this happens, some of you younger ones might be talking about the old days of digital computers.

Last edited:

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Wow! You have had some trip through computer land. We do however, have one thing in common. I still have my sliderule as well. It actually works better than I do these days.

Thanks for taking us down memory lane.

BlueIshDan

☠
Local time
Today, 19:41
I think it's sad that they don't teach us youngins the history of computers... I wish I knew computers from the very first ground and up!

Thank you for sharing your story Rx. It made my Tuesday morning!

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 16:41
Shameless Plug - Just to move poll back to top of Watercooler.
Users age is more interesting than the so-called debate on guns or many of the other things we waste time on.
B.T.W. if this poll goes on too long.... the data results will be distorted! LOL

BlueIshDan

☠
Local time
Shameless Plug - Just to move poll back to top of Watercooler.
Users age is more interesting than the so-called debate on guns or many of the other things we waste time on.
B.T.W. if this poll goes on too long.... the data results will be distorted! LOL

I completely agree.

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
BluishDan; May I ask a silly and maybe personal question? Why do you call yourself BluishDan? Most people take a name that says something about them but Blue is not one, I have gather from your other post, for you. That in itself might be a good thread to start. Nah,,,,...Oh well , just asking?

Have a good day

Blade

BlueIshDan

☠
Local time
BluishDan; May I ask a silly and maybe personal question? Why do you call yourself BluishDan? Most people take a name that says something about them but Blue is not one, I have gather from your other post, for you. That in itself might be a good thread to start. Nah,,,,...Oh well , just asking?

Have a good day

Blade

To be honest it was a teenhood nickname that was given to me in a room full of stoners.

!!!!!! PLEASE DON'T BE OFFENDED BY THIS LANGUAGE !!!!!!

The name BlueIshDan came from the nickname Blueish. Blueish came from these people in the room described above. They thought I looked like a, in their words, a black jew. So they came up with Blueish. The name stuck >.> and then thankfully they started shortening it to Blue.

Since then I've kind of mutated it into a more appropriate name. BlueIshDan.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 18:41
It would actually be interesting to see where most people got their handles (at least, I certainly think so).

I'm guessing Blade took his name either from the book or the movie?

Mine's rather more mundane - it's part of a guild/clan/alliance/whatever name from a play-by-mail game I used to play. The game was Duelmasters (was big in the late 80's), and the group was The Frothingslosh Syndicate. We've had lots of members, but the names were always something Frothingslosh - Biff Frothingslosh, Otto X Frothingslosh, Manray Frothingslosh, Ichabod Frothingslosh, etc.

The Slosher name itself came from Olde Frothingslosh pale state ale, the only beer with the foam on the bottom!

What, you think I'm always serious?

And no, I'm afraid I only used the Frothingslosh name here and in that game. My handle pretty much everywhere else on the web is more literary. It was also taken before I signed up here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom