Access to Excel to Iphone 6 Plus with Excel and back to Access (1 Viewer)

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:07
Thought this might be of some interest to those who have not done it. Note: It applies to OneDrive of W10 and as all my Toshibas are W10 (including the big update in later November) I have no idea about 7 or 8.1

Firstly Excel and OneDrive are put on the iPhone. The Excel file or files are put in the computers OneDrive folder. In my case as I imagine would be the only useful way, the Excel files are created from the Access file, that is tables where data would be changed etc.

If you make a change in Excel on OneDrive it will appear straight away on Excel on the phone. Change an Excel entry on the iPhone and Excel on OneDrive changes.

In my case I have all the basic VBA made so Access will open the Excel file and then a macro on Excel will send the appropriate cell values to the appropriate Access fields. I also have the reverse where Access fields will go to the appropriate Excel cells.

Everything is the same with Word.

Also of note is OneDrive on all the computers will change and if Excel on OneDrive is changed on any of the computers it will change on the phone.

I assume all of the above would work on Android phones and the various tablets.

As a side note with the iPhone 6 Plus when you turn it on its side and everything is landscape and after doing a fair bit of typing (experimenting with Word) you become quite proficient at typing on the phone.

As I said it might be of interest to some and perhaps there are others who have done similar but taken things to a higher degree.

One thing that does not seem to work with OneDrive is putting an Access file in OneDrive and hence they would be networked. Basically it all fouls itself up.

Also I am using Access 2016 and from Office 365 and the Access files are .mdb but I don't think any of that would matter.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:07
interesting - do you know if excel macros work on iPhone? i.e. file is .xlsm and you can run a macro when open in iPhone.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
interesting - do you know if excel macros work on iPhone? i.e. file is .xlsm and you can run a macro when open in iPhone.

Don't know. However Vlookup works fine with If. Conditional Formatting also works on the iPhone.

Word docs with macros brings up a message they won't work.

I will have an iPad Air 2 here this week and see what I can do with that. I am thinking I can develop stuff on it for the iPhone but of course easier as a lot bigger.

At this stage my main goal is being able to update Access from iPhone entries while out and about and of course Excel (and also Word) are the "go between" so to speak.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
be interested to know how you get on - the interesting thing for me is whether a macro works in the first place, worry about which do and don't at a later date!

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
be interested to know how you get on - the interesting thing for me is whether a macro works in the first place, worry about which do and don't at a later date!

I just used the Excel file that had Vlookup/If to see if it worked. A couple of other Excel files with cell formulas all worked OK on the phone. But of course VBA macros are a different ball game.

But when I get the iPad Air 2 this week I will probably try a few excel files with very advanced macros.

However, my goal is really about data change that will go back to OneDrive/Computer and then let Access update from the changes in the Excel file or Word file.

My understanding, which is quite limited, is that Excel etc. for the phones and tablets is not the full thing.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I would hope cell formulas do work!

The existence of an enabled create macro button would be a good sign...

However if vba macros don't work in Word, chances are they won't in Excel

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
I just bought an iPar Air 2 and put Excel, Word and OneDrive on. Made a change in Excel and appeared straight away on the iPhone and all my computers.

Also took the iPhone well away from home so it was not running off my broadband WiFi model. Made some changes to Excel, then completely turned the phone off. Came home and the changes were on the iPad and Computers.

In the next couple od days or so I will put an Excel file that has some very complex macros and also Word and see how that goes on the iPad.

I also just received an email from Microsoft with latest down loads for Excel, Word for apple stuff and will put them on the phone.

As a side note, with things like Pro Surface 4 and Toshiba Portege tablet/computers I know they run Access but I assume if the screen was taken off and taken outside as a tablet Access would not work. Does anyone know if that is the case?

But as I first mentioned my main goal is to change Excel on the phone when I am out and about and then have Access update from the Excel file on the computer.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Surface pro's work as a PC with or without the keyboard attached. Just makes the typing a little more interesting :)

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Surface pro's work as a PC with or without the keyboard attached. Just makes the typing a little more interesting :)

So if you detach the screen and take it with you then Access would run and without any limitations.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
As an aside and I can only speak about Sydney Australia but for any of you blokes that make your various stuff for money there is a good market in small business for what this thread is about. That is why I have been doing it.:)

Grumm

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:07
Surface pro's are just laptop's with touchscreen and detachable keyboard.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Surface pro's are just laptop's with touchscreen and detachable keyboard.

But can't you take the "screen" with you as a tablet? If so will what you take run Access?

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Yes. The "screen" is the laptop. All the hardware is behind the screen.
It doesn't run apps like a smartphone. You can install programs like you would do on a desktop.

(This works only for the surface PRO. Surface RT only can use apps from the windows app store)

see more : http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/tips-for-installing-desktop-programs-on-your-surfa.html

What about this Toshiba?

https://www.telstra.com.au/tablets/tablets-on-a-plan/toshiba-portege-z20t-intel-m5

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Loaded latest Excel for iOS and directly from MS email onto iPhone and iPad Air 2.

Macros are a "no go" for both Word and Excel.

Grumm

Registered User.
Local time
That Toshiba should be good to install the complete office pack. It runs a standard windows 8 64 bit version. It behaves just like a laptop.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
That Toshiba should be good to install the complete office pack. It runs a standard windows 8 64 bit version. It behaves just like a laptop.

I asked about the as our biggest telco has them and on a plan whether phone or whatever the cost is far lower than if bought the product, as long as you do the 2 year contract period.

Actually they don't really grab me much because like a Laptop you still need to take them in a bag and for equal performance a 15.6" laptop is far cheaper.

I think the 12" screens would be a bit small for continuous work.

But I might get one for a "toy" and just try one out. My place already looks like a retail outlet for Toshiba:D

Grumm

Registered User.
Local time
Well i agree that a 15.6" laptop is cheaper. But it is heavier and bigger.
Any tablet needs a bag (I dare you to put an ipad air without any protection in your school bag :/)

Some consultants i know use a netbook. It's smal but still powerful enough to run most programs.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Surface pro is pretty useful bit of kit - if you are developing on it just add another monitor and you are sorted.
With the keyboard over the screen you don't really need a case, but even with one it's still way lighter and easier to travel than a laptop.
We use i5 pro3's for all sorts and its very capable.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Well i agree that a 15.6" laptop is cheaper. But it is heavier and bigger.
Any tablet needs a bag (I dare you to put an ipad air without any protection in your school bag :/)

Some consultants i know use a netbook. It's smal but still powerful enough to run most programs.

The weight does not worry me. I also like the 15.6" screen for demonstrating and in addition that is what the business usually has.

I also have two identical Toshibas and I often leave one with the prospect so he can try whatI have made and that way on the phone we are looking at identical stuff. Also at that point I know there will not be problems because of other stuff he might have on his own gear. If he likes it, usually after some changes then I put it on his gear and sort out any problems.

With iPad Air 2 whenever I take it then it will be in the bag with a 15.6" Toshiba.

I have an Android phone coming tomorrow to do the Excel and Word setup as not every prospect will have the Apple phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom