View in Windows vs Tabs (1 Viewer)

NearImpossible

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:48
Is it possible to view a form, query, report, etc. in a separate window vs a tab while working on it?

The reason i'm asking is I would like to be able to see the columns of one table while building my query in a separate window.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:48
Hi. Have you tried going to File > Options > Current Database > Document Window Options > Overlapping Windows?

NearImpossible

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. Have you tried going to File > Options > Current Database > Document Window Options > Overlapping Windows?

That does work, however it also affects the layout of the database while in use, is there anyway to have it act like that only while in design mode so I could have each open in its own window, but if I change it to Form View, its the normal tabs/pop-ups as specified by the forms??

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:48
That does work, however it also affects the layout of the database while in use, is there anyway to have it act like that only while in design mode so I could have each open in its own window, but if I change it to Form View, its the normal tabs/pop-ups as specified by the forms??
Depends on what you mean. You can switch it back and forth or just maximize the form when you try it out.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
it also affects the layout of the database while in use
it affects the layout of the database? I don't think that's what you mean. guy told you to switch it to overlapping windows. if you did indeed do that, working on objects doesn't moving anything else in the database window
is there anyway to have it act like that only while in design mode so I could have each open in its own window, but if I change it to Form View, its the normal tabs/pop-ups as specified by the forms??
NO.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:48
If you're using Tab view for forms and want to make a particular form not open in tab view, set it's popup property to yes. Same thing for reports. I don't think there is any such option for queries, which you probably shouldn't be allowing users to interact with anyway.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:48
It is not possible to switch between tab and window view on the fly. You have to change the setting and then close and open the database.

If MS had made the switch dynamic, I might use tab view for the users but for development, it is too cumbersome. I always want to be able to look at multiple queries or tables or forms as I am testing.

Personally, I don't like tab view so I never use it. I think having multiple forms open confuses users so with rare exceptions, I don't allow it. If formA opens formB, it hides itelf and then when formB closes, it opens formA. In the rare cases where I do want both forms visible, the second form is opened as a dialog so although you can see the original form, you can't interact with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom