Legends (1 Viewer)

moleary

Local time
Today, 03:33
Is it possible to put a legend in a report? I would need one for supervisor, they are coded now by number like 06 and I need it to tell me on the report that 06=Christina, and also the same for status, everything is coded by numbers status 1= approved, is there anyway to do this in the report?

llkhoutx

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:33
Put your legend in a label in the page footer of your report.

moleary

Local time
Not to sound retarded or anything but how do I do that?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:33
Rather than using a legend, why not just show the descriptive value? Change the recordsource of the report to a query that joins to the table that contains the supervisor name and also joins to the status code table. Once you make the join, you can select the descriptive text fields and include them in the recordsource. Then they will be directly available to the report.

Atomic Shrimp

Humanoid lifeform
Local time
If there's not room in the report column to show the descriptive value, you could create a legend subreport (based on your table that contains the codes and their descriptions) and insert that into a footer on your main report.

If you use relational query in the record source for the subreport, joining to whatever the record source is for the main report, you could also get the legend subreport to show only to values which appear in and are relevant to the report.

moleary

Local time
Pat, the problem with that is that my report is based on a query that is based on a table, but, we don't have their names anywhere in them, we have just been using code numbers, but my boss, instead of always looking at a separte piece of paper, would like to see that on a report? Is that any help? I am fairly new at this and I appricated your help greatly!!!

Molly

moleary

Local time
Mike, I have a problem, My table is linked with an excell spreadsheet, is that going to make any difference, we are still using excel until I finsh our access program, but in the mean time we have to link them?

Chris RR

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:33
Cheater method: Set up a little Access table that relates those codes to the names, and use that in your query.
It's a cheat, because really you probably go through a full design process, etc... But for now, just a new table with two fields (code, name), will let you do the join that Pat & Mike suggest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom