Entering a Particular number to show all info (1 Viewer)

Tech

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:39
TY very much SIR!! ARE THE GREATEST!

I couldn't sleep over this!

I agree, I have to do all the things myself but the reason I didn't do it was because

1) I have not much knowledge of MS Access
2) The uni didn't teach us this at all, we only got as far as subforms and queries and that's it!

But I do apologise for the pain I have been, but I really do greatly appreciate all of this.

How did u make it like this? I mean, it works! lol :) What did u do? I need to know for my future reference...I am checking the file now in more detail, here at uni.

God Bless you :)

bjackson

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:39
copy the database then experiment with it
look at record sources,event procedures,the
queries behind the subform etc
and above all use access help,you will find
it covers a lot of your questions

also look at the table relation ships

Tech

Registered User.
Local time
I am doing so right now :) THANK-YOU :)

Last quick question, U made a form for the producpurchased, i think u made it in design view from scratch?

Do u think i should do the same for the customer details section in the order form? if so, how did u go about doing the productpurchased? (did u use a wizard for it and then customized it after wards in design view?)

bjackson

Registered User.
Local time
productspurchased was purely done to use as subform
for your order form.
no i dont think you need to do that for customer details

i dont use the wizards unless i really have to,i find it
easer to do from scratch,the same as most querys that i do

Tech

Registered User.
Local time
Hi again, I'm still checking out that stuff....great :) but i'm still at uni.

I want to know, how did that relationship with the customernumber from the customerdetails appear in the order form with customernumber in it?

I need to create a set of relationships and hoping for some help - typical!

The table I want the relationships on, do they have to have the same type of fields? Eg:

Productnumber from the productdetails needs to be linked to the unpaid orders or a customer history table. Does this mean that the unpaid orders/history table have to have a field called productnumber and the link it from and to?

directormac

Occasional Presence
Local time
RTFM / STFW

Tech:

As you have discovered, this forum is an amazing resource for both beginners and advanced users to get help. In general, most folks here are happy to help out newbies because everyone here remembers when they were the ones banging their heads against the monitor.

but

There is a limit to folks' generosity, and after a while they become less willing to help people who don't seem to want to actually figure anything out themselves.

This isn't meant to insult or offend in any way. You've been charmingly excessive in thanking those who have helped you. It is, however, meant as a gentle reminder that this forum is a resource, not a substitute for effort.

By all means, ask about things that have you stumped. But if question #2 picks up exactly where answer #1 left off... everytime... well... don't forget about things like manuals, on-line tutorials, searching the forum to see if someone else has already covered this topic (chances are they have).

--Tough-Love Mac

Tech

Registered User.
Local time
Right..sorry.

no more questions..

directormac

Occasional Presence
Local time
I wasn't by any means suggesting that you shouldn't ask any more questions. Just that you should try to work things out on your own first, search the forum and other resources second (chances are good someone else has already asked your question and had it answered), and post your questions here only when you can't find the answer on your own.

The folks here are very generous with their time and knowledge, but if they start feeling like a substitue for the manual, they're going to eventually get fed up and leave (I've seen this happen on countless forums over the years) and then there won't be anyone to help with the real stumpers. Think of it as conserving your resources.

Besides, you'll actually get more out of their answers AFTER you've wrestled with the problem yourself for a while. Trust me on that one.

--Sagacious Mac

Tech

Registered User.
Local time
sure, i understand.

I am about to head off to buy some books...I hope I find the good ones, even if I have to spend hundreds!

Tech

Registered User.
Local time
there is REALLY one thing I am stuck on, and I hope you don't mind answering this.

In the order form > design view, there is another text box next to the customer number combo box. This basically copies whatever value is in the combo box.

I tried doing a similar thing but with the product number and the product name/description but could not get it to work, even after following the tables and the other forms in design view.

Would you be kind enough to tell me how u achieved this? As I need it for the report, so in the report, I can insert the product name field, which is saved in the database.

Thank-you

directormac

Occasional Presence
Local time
I haven't had any time to dive into bj's file, but here are some top-of-the-head thoughts until he has a chance to respond:

I'm guessing that what you're seeing is NOT a text box "copying" info from a combo box, (what would the point of that be?) but that the combo box is controlling what record is selected for the form to display, and the info in the text box is being read from the datasource for that form. Poke around in the controls that he has, paying attention to the info in the Data tab, and don't forget to look at the properties for the form itself as well. Watch to see if he's getting values from a table, a query, or another control.

Looking at the form you were asking about, it's a subform embedded in the main form. Check Access Help and your new books for info on working with subforms.

--Substitute Mac

bjackson

Registered User.
Local time
i agree with everything directormac has said.I learnt access

well what little i know about it by reading,and using the built in
access help files,i didnt know how to use the internet so
these forums were out the question

having said that what i have learned prepared me better to
fully utilitise theses types of forums and you will find that the
best way is to experiment and when you run into a problem
do some trial and errors,press f1 key on any words or code
and see what access help has to offer.

i stress i do not mind helping people providing they do the work themselves,as in the long term that is how they will learn best

to answer your question

your unpaid orders table would need a field called OrderId as
that would be how it is related to your orders.

directomac is right about the text box but as i said i have only
showed you one way that i would do it,and really i supplied that
demo so you could muck around with it and perhaps find your
own way to do things.There are other issues in that db that need
to be addressed but they are things that you will discover and
try to find a way to resolve those issues

the database was not intended to be a working model for
you to use

regards bjackson

Tech

Registered User.
Local time
that's cool, thank-you very much tho, i appreciate it...

Tech

Registered User.
Local time
I was thinking of making a query for the unpaid table but this whole thing is driving me mad up the wall, and i am not joking, i am about to smash my PC!

URGH

I have been following, for so many hours now, I AM THICK, on the productpurchase subform and SQL statements/query.

What I want to know is that, where do the additional fields come in from the subform?

I want it to write the unit price and the total price in the product purchased/order table but how the heck do I do it? I tried so hard but failed miserably.

I'm a loser

directormac

Occasional Presence
Local time
Tech said:

What I want to know is that, where do the additional fields come in from the subform?
Every control on the subform's design will tell you where the data comes from in its properties.

I want it to write the unit price and the total price in the product purchased/order table but how the heck do I do it?
Just detail what you want to accomplish, what you're currrently doing, and what results you are getting.

I tried so hard but failed miserably.
I AM THICK
I'm a loser
Enough.:rolleyes:

Tech

Registered User.
Local time
I have tried to create a Relationship between the Tables, that didn't work. I tried taking the value of the current Subtotal/quantity required and copying it to a text box, so this could be written to the table - no luck there.

I dunno what to do, I couldn't sleep

directormac

Occasional Presence
Local time
What do you mean it didn't work? Describe your table structure and what kind of relationship you tried/desire.

Why are you trying to write a subtotal to a table? In general, there's hardly ever a need to store a value that you can calculate from the info you're already storing.

Tech

Registered User.
Local time
it's probably better if u saw it urself, I am sooo confused, i don't even understand the database!

ftp://temp:temp@techftpserver.co.uk/mdffc.zip

What I want it to do now, is to create some sort of relation where the Quantity Ordered and the unitprice values, are taken from the productpurchased subform (in the order form) and copied into the order form table.

Y?

Because I want to create a query where it shows all the unpaid orders, this will be made by using a condition where it checks to see if the Paid check box has been checked, if it hasn't, it goes off and does the search and displayed the appropriate information.

Tech

Registered User.
Local time
I have just done the query, it works very well except I need those 2 values in it

bjackson

Registered User.
Local time
if you wanted to look at unpaid orders then
you would just open up your order form using your order id as
the open arguments for your order form.the amounts have already
been stored in your products purchased table so i cant see
the need to store the total again in your orders table.

dont give up so easy as access is not something to be
learned in 1 day or 1 week,it will take a lot of patience and
perserverance

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom