Christmas Decorations (1 Viewer)

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:05
Rich said:
Just bought a carton of Christmas decs from a chain store here, the message now reads Happy Holidays:rolleyes:

You can't please some people can you? :D

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:05
dan-cat said:
Sure you can... I have a sign on my cubicle that reads Merry Christmahannukwanzika :D

R

Rich

dan-cat said:
I'm surprised the greeting wasn't written in 26 different languages with an apology to jehovah witnesses :rolleyes:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:05
Every major holiday originally recognized by the pagans was co-opted by the "holy mother church" during the first several centuries of the first millennium post-Jesus. All-Saints day follows Halloween, Easter matches the pagan return of Spring, Christmas was a pagan tree festival, and so on. You have to search for it, but the idea was simple. To win the hearts and minds of the pagans, throw parties. Parties at which they have a good time and you have a semi-captive audience. But... to get them to come at all, you need to pick a time when they were going to be partying anyway. So make your parties occur "by coincidence" (if you believe in such things) on the same day as a major pagan holiday. Then, when everyone is feeling no pain, talk about your religious beliefs.

The original Christmas holiday was actually on the night of the Winter Solstice, but when the Romans switched from a lunar calendar things started to get out of hand. The Julian calendar was inaccurate enough that when we switched to the Gregorian calendar, we were 11 days out of sync. We now have New Year's day celebrated on the calendar's start, but originally that should have been on the day that in the Gregorian calendar is Dec. 21st.

The issue of political correctness is SO stupid - whether dealing with holidays or with race or with religion - that it becomes impossible to hold a critical discussion. Which is, of course, playing into the hands of the "politically correct" thought squad. Which is why I tell them that at my age, I'm too old to learn these new-fangled PC terms. To me, a spade is a spade and a duck is a duck.

Which isn't to say that I try HARD to be insulting. I just don't try very hard to NOT be insulting. Particularly when a PC type starts harping on some topic that can't be discussed outside of using blunt language.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I think its about time all references to religion are dropped when referring to the 25th December [pagan] public holiday.
It can be very offensive to non-religious people having all that jesus crap thrown down your throat on TV - all those freaky hypocrits singing in church, its enough to make you want to throw up.

Even if there was a jesus alien thing born - a search of google tells you best estimates of the birthday is in September.

Col

KenHigg

Local time
:) G'morning Col - Have a good weekend?

R

Rich

And this is the time of year when one of the wealthiest institutions in the country come knocking asking for contributions to help the poor. &%£#!^$ hypocrites!:mad:

KenHigg

Local time
Rich said:
And this is the time of year when one of the wealthiest institutions in the country come knocking asking for contributions to help the poor. &%£#!^$ hypocrites!:mad:

Oh dear.... Where is everyone's Christmas spirit? :(

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
KenHigg said:
:) G'morning Col - Have a good weekend?
Yes actually, I did.

KenHigg said:
Oh dear.... Where is everyone's Christmas spirit?
In the vodka bottle I use every night. I suppose Kenny, you don't drink what with being a "christian" and all:rolleyes:

ok, go on then have a go at me for drinking the dreaded devils brew alcohol.:rolleyes: I thought I'd give you an easy starter target today

Col

KenHigg

Local time
ColinEssex said:
Yes actually, I did.

Wonderful - Do you and your's buy the nieces's and nephews a little present for th holiday?

ColinEssex said:
In the vodka bottle I use every night. I suppose Kenny, you don't drink what with being a "christian" and all:rolleyes:

You are correct but not so much on account of my faith - :)

ColinEssex said:
ok, go on then have a go at me for drinking the dreaded devils brew alcohol.:rolleyes: I thought I'd give you an easy starter target today

Col

Not today, I'll give you a break - :D :D

KenHigg

Local time
Rich said:
Yuk, sounds disgusting, is this an American tipple?:confused:

I'm not sure where it came from - I would have thought it an 'English' tradition - ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom