Value in field changes in record I go to to what it is in record I am leaving (1 Viewer)

Serendipityww

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:45
Included on a form are 3 fields which contain letter grades for tests. And then three other fields which change the letter grades to number grades. If I enter or change a value in, say, the Test1 field of record 13, then asI cycle through the records after that, they change the value in their Test1 field to the value I entered in record 13. This problem is true of many of the fields on this form. I have a very similar form that does not have this problem. (I actually madethis form by doing a Save As from the working form.) These particular values do not get stored in a table. They are used to arrive at a final grade which does get stored in a table. Why do the values I enter not "stick"?

AlanS

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:45
I'd need to see the database to track this one down, but I suspect that the field in question is storing its value in a global variable, rather than a table field, and that is why it is carrying through from one record to all the others.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:45
Since the fields in question are not bound to the underlying recordset, they apply to the form. A recordset contains many rows but the unbound control applies to only one form. That is why whenever you change the value of an unbound field, it appears to change for all visible rows.

Serendipityww

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:45
Still need more help, please. I now have the form based on a query which is based on 4 tables. The values should store back in the Grading table, but I still have my original problem. Because I couldn't update via the form, I set the Recordset Type to Dynaset(Inconsistent Updates). Could this have anything to do with it? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom