Thread: Word Press...
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2017, 01:31 AM   #10
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to Uncle Gizmo
Re: Word Press...

Update on WordPress!!! I must say I struggle a bit with WordPress. On the face of it it's very easy! I have set up several free themes and got some stuff posted but it never had that polished look. Now don't get me wrong I'm not looking for a sparkly wonderful looking website. In fact I am very very happy with the simple Google hosted website I've got. However I want landing pages, and to be able to use easy digital downloads to sell my products. I signed up for Thrive Themes which was quite expensive. I purchased thrive themes because of its Apprentice feature. Apprentice allows you to add instructional videos, however I just couldn't get on with this. It was an awkward interface, took me a lot of time and trouble and I didn't really get it working anyway. I must say I think this was partly due to my inexperience.

Basically I'm looking for something simpler. The year membership with thrive themes is nearly up and I still haven't done my website! So I am deciding whether to stick with thrive themes or to go with something else. I watched a fascinating and informative you tube video by Hogan Chua http://hoganchua.com/ where he gave an excellent review of Themify Ultra. I was also able to install themify Ultra along with a setup file provided by Hogan. I'm waiting for Themify Ultra to respond to a couple of questions I have about their product. I'm particularly concerned that I don't want to buy a theme and then discover I have to fork out for loads of other updates/addons to get the functionality I require.

I produce sets of instructional YouTube videos for MS Access. Therefore I need to display several videos one below the other on a page, along with some text preferably to the right hand side, or if this is not possible because of the themes ability to resize itself, (for mobile) then underneath. I have tried this with other WordPress websites, putting the video and the text in a two column table this seems to work however Tables affects the fluid resizing for displaying on smaller screens (I Think). I also want to add loads of links referencing other videos and pages within the site. For example if I mention in a video that the user needs to edit a combobox, then I want to direct them to a video which explains combobox editing.

In essence I'm finding what appears to be a simple product is providing me with a very steep learning curve! I think there are two fundamental issues WordPress caters for everyone and everything so there is a multitude of stuff out there. That makes it difficult to find the really good stuff that is appropriate to your needs. It's been established for several years probably a decade I reckon (without referring to Google) and a bit like MS Access really it's grown from something original and had to be designed in a way to cater for everything as it evolved. If you're not aware of this evolution and the impact, then it just makes it seem a bit odd.