Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Old 07-15-2014, 06:30 AM   #1
Learn2010
Newly Registered User

Learn2010 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up SQL Issue?

I was included in a project where an outside vendor was brought in to set up a SQL Server backend for an Access database I developed. Since it has been running, all my Access databases are really slow, with some of them not even wanting to close. I have developed several other Access databases with Access back-ends on a network drive. None of the other users are having this issue.

Is there something I can do to stop this from happening?

Thank you.

Learn2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:10 AM   #2
jdraw
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,952 Posts
jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light
Re: SQL Issue?

How was this project organized? Who was project lead? Who set up the contract?Who was responsible for testing and acceptance? Seems there is more involved than the small piece you have mentioned.
Somebody has to accept the system/database or something and it should have met the "acceptance criteria" before sign off. At least that's how we did things when third party consultant/programmer/designer was involved.

What exactly do you want to STOP happening?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jdraw; 07-15-2014 at 07:11 AM. Reason: spelling
jdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:32 AM   #3
Learn2010
Newly Registered User

I understand all that. The problem seems to be that somehow SQL is holding my resources in some manner and I need it to let go.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
Learn2010
Newly Registered User

In answer to your questions, read this.

How was this project organized? By people that had no part in the outcome.

Who was project lead? A guy that had no part in the outcome or set up and testing.

Who set up the contract? A Supervisor that had no idea what was going on, but had a deadline to meet, which became my deadline.

Who was responsible for testing and acceptance? Two people that had no part in the outcome, myself, and two users that never got to use it. After it was supposedly finished, it was handed over to me, and I was supposed to manage it.

Seems there is more involved than the small piece you have mentioned. Yes there is.

Now, do you know why SQL would lock up my programs or don't you?

Thank you.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:51 AM   #5
jdraw
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,952 Posts
jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light

I don't know why your database is acting as it is, but here is a link to performance tips that you can check.

Do you know if there is appropriate indexing on fields? Sequential reads can be a nightmare in any dbms.
Do you have test data to identify any specific function/procedure...?
Have you tied putting some comments/messages re "in this procedure at time..." and done any analysis?
Have you had any network or sql server people check any of their monitoring tools?
Did this particular database ever run faster than it is currently? If so, what changed?
Has anyone talked to the third party developers for ideas/suggestions?

This may be relevant, you can see what others have experienced/done.
Good luck.

Last edited by jdraw; 07-16-2014 at 02:08 PM.
jdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:47 AM   #6
pr2-eugin
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,066 Times in 2,014 Posts
pr2-eugin has a spectacular aura about pr2-eugin has a spectacular aura about pr2-eugin has a spectacular aura about

The response by Albert Kallal, seems to be quiet informative : http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...orum=accessdev

!
!
Windows 7 Professional, MS Access 2010
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the above post has helped you, please click the scales
or click the 'Thumbs up'. Cheers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pr2-eugin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: