Are you an atheist? (1 Viewer)

Are you an atheist?

• Total voters

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 02:04
Tired (insomnia for three nights now) but otherwise doing fine.

The problem with studying something every evening is sometimes your brain doesn't want to downshift when it's time to go to bed!

nanscombe

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:04
Most of the time when people make grammatical errors we do accept them by taking them at face value.

However, those errors may change the intended meaning of what was written and people react to what the author actually wrote rather than what was in their head at the time.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
(I say this in experience not as a opinion) in my primary school and Secondary school we were forced to say a prayer at the start of every assembly and maybe even a religious hymn .... I have to admit I never sang along (*Mumbling the sounds* worked everytime.)
Now that's just lazy. I found that loudly singing obscenities that rhymed also worked, with the added advantage of taking some thought.;)

David R

I know a few things...
Local time
Today, 01:04
So there's some bill, or maybe a law, that you don't know the name or number of, that will do a blatantly unconstitutional thing? Nice try, thanks for the laugh Blade.

You might be thinking of SB 1140 from 2012, that would have shielded churches from having to perform gay marriage or lose their non-profit status (it passed). Or maybe you're thinking of the Southern Baptist Convention removing a California church from its membership last month because its pastor announced support for same-sex marriage.

Actually, I suspect what you're getting is an old version of SB 6239 in Washington state (I know, they're practically the same thing), which would have required churches to offer space to same-sex services IF they offered space to the general public for events. The bill as passed instead shields them from any and all civil suits, for any reason related to gay marriage. Yay?

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
So there's some bill, or maybe a law, that you don't know the name or number of, that will do a blatantly unconstitutional thing? Nice try, thanks for the laugh Blade.

You might be thinking of SB 1140 from 2012, that would have shielded churches from having to perform gay marriage or lose their non-profit status (it passed. Or maybe you're thinking of the Southern Baptist Convention removing a California church from its membership last month because its pastor announced support for same-sex marriage.

Actually, I suspect what you're getting is an old version of SB 6239 in Washington state (I know, they're practically the same thing), which would have required churches to offer space to same-sex services IF they offered space to the general public for events. The bill as passed instead shields them from any and all civil suits, for any reason related to gay marriage. Yay?
Don't you be coming on here with your 'facts' and your 'proof'! We're trying to discuss religion.

David R

I know a few things...
Local time
Today, 01:04
Yeah well, my religion is excluded from the poll, so I have to get my jollies somewhere... :D

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Yeah well, my religion is excluded from the poll, so I have to get my jollies somewhere... :D
What??? There IS only one true religion. I was thinking about infidels such as yourself just yesterday, while I was eating my supper - chips and Mr Steak and Kidney Pie (peas be on him).

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Actually, I'm pretty sure he was misunderstanding the (either Idaho or Iowa) issue, where a pair of "pastors" (who'd been ordained through a mill rather than a seminary) ran a for-profit wedding chapel. They didn't care about your religion or denomination; they were just trying to make a living. They refused, however, to perform same-sex marriages. Once an anti-discrimination law was passed barring non-religious descrimination against homosexuals, they stopped performing marriages for anyone other than Christians of their own denomination, as well as those evil, evil sodomites, and started claiming religious persecution.

It wound up being resolved once they reincorporated as a 501(c)(3), as the state's laws don't require religious institutions to perform marriages to which the leadership have religious objections. Their reincorporation is pure sophistry, honestly, but from what I understand it's perfectly legal.

And let's face it, facts have never stopped the Religious Reich from screaming about their non-existant persecution; this is part and parcel of his equally inane prior arguments.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Keep calm bud, I realise my grammatical errors but when typing huge paragraphs (as you've seen me do), I tend to let my grammar get away from me sometimes.

So lets get this straight.

Short paragraphs are usually grammatically correct. "Huge" paragraphs, with errors, are also acceptable because the writer is too lazy to proof read, even though a large paragraph is open to misinterpretation due to weak punctuation and errors.

I was always taught to keep paragraphs short as readers will get bored and not be bothered to wade through the dross to try and understand the point.

Col

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:04
Connor , here we have an example as to why I think correct English, including or especially punctuation, is important. You read this as that it was hypocritical to leave the church, I read it to say that he left the church because he saw hypocrisy there.

Brian

Give Brian a cigar. Yes it was written poorly but it got the thought across.

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Hey Bladerunner :)

Hello Connor: Wrote a detailed post for this very post of yours. Lost it trying to post it on line x2. Will have to start using a a memo pad or something so I have a copy until it is posted. I am not going to try rewrite it but simply put it this way. Most of what I wrote you took it wrong!

you are trying to interpret what I write through your hatred of the Christian religion. I am not a preacher and do not intentionally preach to anyone especially Atheist. I do not care that you or anyone else is an Atheist or that you have a different worldview than I do or that our children will have different worldviews.

Yes we shall meet again on this tablet of controversy.

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
I don't tell everyone, I'd be here all day, but in your initial postings they got out of hand, and I guess I was a bit p'd off by something so decided to say something. I am also annoyed and dismayed that blade and D7Access seem proud to not know the difference between were and where plus a few other things.

As to my post above a bit of research gives it as a parenthical phrase, I.e. It can be left out without upsetting the main meaning , these can be contained within brackets or commas.

Brian

All right Brian lets get this out here: Like you, I type my own post. I try to answer as many as I can in the time I have to devote to this site. Yes, I make mistakes but believe me, I know the difference in 'were and where'. Guess at my age, my fingers get disconnected from what my brain is trying to tell them to type from time to time. Like F*, you keep harping about my mental abilities or something. Get over it. I am human, going to make mistakes and it will not end here. It this sites administrators feels my mistakes diminish its effectiveness, then they should simply remove my name from this sites membership.

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time

Let me state this again for clarity; When the states started changing the laws allowing the marriage between gays, I saw the demise of the Christian Church.
WHY? because after enough states allowed this marriage, there would be two gays and one Lawyer sitting at each church door wanting to be married. When they were refused, there would be lawsuits and eventually a law would be passed upon churches to lose their non-profit status should they refuse to marry gays. Once this non-profit status was gone, lawsuits against the church and its parishioners could and would be filed. This action would then shut the doors of a lot of churches that did not cecum to the demands of the gay-liberals. Those churches that closed their doors would have their services held in individual homes under secrecy in order to avoid lawsuits or being placed in jail. sounds Medieval !!!!!!!!!!!

My other question was: How far are the gays or liberals willing to go if the churches stand up to them? Think about it. Its been proven by all the riots, etc., that violence is not below them

David those laws have not been written yet but in all probability will be?

You might be thinking of SB 1140 from 2012, that would have shielded churches from having to perform gay marriage or lose their non-profit status (it passed). Or maybe you're thinking of the Southern Baptist Convention removing a California church from its membership last month because its pastor announced support for same-sex marriage.

Why should the Church go against it belief and marry gays. Why would the gays want to be married in a church other than to throw their Atheism in its (churches) face. Yes, the SBC should have removed the church from its membership.

I would have no problem with them using the space afforded to other groups for the same price. Most of the time this would be $0. Of course the church would not promote or advertise anything about the event being held and the event would not be able to promote/advertise that the church provided them the space.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Blade

I don't believe that I have ever questioned your mental abilities, well maybe in the gun thread when questioning the attitude and comments of gun lovers in some catch all phrase, but not in a direct personal way.
I agree that we all make mistakes but I also think that we should respect our readers and reread our posts and correct as many as we can.
The inclusion of you in the were and where comment was because of an exchange between you and Dick, however since you do know the difference would you please correct your signature. :)

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
On the subject of homosexual marriage and the Church I'm with Blade. I may be a none church going agnostic but I believe that the Church should not be forced to compromise its beliefs on this issue. If a particular section of the Christian religion accepts homosexual marriage then that is surely the one that Christian homosexuals should attend, not one that doesn't .

We have seen homosexuals deliberately forcing confrontation in other areas resulting in people losing their lively hood in the case of the B& B couple, and in today's paper I read of a long time Red Cross volunteer being thrown out because he protested against same sex marriage.

I suspect that most homosexuals, like most Muslims, just want to live in peace but there are always fanatics with their own agenda.

Brian

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Blade

I don't believe that I have ever questioned your mental abilities, well maybe in the gun thread when questioning the attitude and comments of gun lovers in some catch all phrase, but not in a direct personal way.
I agree that we all make mistakes but I also think that we should respect our readers and reread our posts and correct as many as we can.
The inclusion of you in the were and where comment was because of an exchange between you and Dick, however since you do know the difference would you please correct your signature. :)

Brian
LOL,,,, All you had to do was ask!. I have not looked at that for some time now. As of this post, I have tried to change it but cannot find the edit for the signature. Have any ideas/.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I don't like to point out people's errors too many get upset!:D

Go into your control panel , Select User CP from the menu bar , and you will find edit signature as one of the options.

Thanks
Brian

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
Tired (insomnia for three nights now) but otherwise doing fine.

The problem with studying something every evening is sometimes your brain doesn't want to downshift when it's time to go to bed!

Might be an idea to do some studying a little earlier in the day Frothingslosh!

Read an interesting article as to why humans need sleep, There prognosis was that the only reason humans need sleep is because we get tired. (No medical reasoning)

They could not find any reason as to why we actually need sleep other than that.

Maybe try getting some sleep tonight ;) You must be exhausted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom