Dsum with multiple criteria (1 Viewer)

jeran042

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:10
My question has a little bit of a twist from the information (which is extensive) I find in my search.

I want to do a dsum in an unbound text box on a form, I need it to look at a query and sum the "Debit" field based on 2 criteria,

Criteria 1:account number in question
Criteria 2: Paid in the previous month, (Based on a formula)

Here is the formula I have tried so far:

Code:
DSum("[DEBIT]"," qryExpense_Report ","ACCOUNT_NUMBER = '"  5040823 & " ' And Month = 'Format$(DateAdd("m",-1,Now()),"mmmm"'")

The "Month" field looks like this in the query:
Code:
Month: Format([MO_DAY],"mmmm")

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:10
Month is a reserved word in access, you'll need to put it brackets [Month}

jeran042

Registered User.
Local time
Even with the brackets, I still get an error,
Is there a more efficient way to get this answer? For example taking the left 2 characters from the date field? But then wouldn't there have to be an array to say "01"=January...

I thought it may be easier to have an expression where it gives the name of the month, but I may be wrong?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:10
What type of field is is MO_DAY ? A date?

jeran042

Registered User.
Local time
Its only a 4 digit date field (01/28), as everything relates to the current year. Nothing I can do about this format

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 03:10
Code:
,"ACCOUNT_NUMBER = '"  5040823 & " ' And Month = 'Format$(DateAdd("m",-1,Now()),"mmmm"'")

Month is a reserved word, but you have bigger issues. You are not building a valid string for your criteria.

A string can be made of 2 things--code and hard-coded text. You can use as many of those 2 things as you want, but when you want to splice them together you need to user an ampersand (&).

variableOne ="This Is hardcoded text."
variableTwo = " So is this."

That hardcoded text is now in variables which is code. I can combine them like so with a space between them by using ampersands:

variableThree= variableOne & " " & variableTwo

I can even use them together like so:

variableFour= variableOne & " And here's even more hard coded text. " & variableTwo

variableFive = variableOne & " And Today's date is:" & Date()

You need to break in and out of hardcoded text and code correctly in building that filter string. Can the value of [Month] literally be the string ''Format$(DateAdd("m",-1,Now()),"mmmm"'? Seems like an odd value for the value of a month.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 16:10
Your query is right athough some space and wxtra bracjet there.
Code:
DSum("DEBIT","qryExpense_Report","ACCOUNT_NUMBER = '"  & 5040823 & "' And Month = 'Format$(DateAdd("m",-1,Now()),"mmmm"'")

arnelgp

Local time
Code:
DSum("DEBIT","qryExpense_Report","ACCOUNT_NUMBER = '"  & 5040823 & "' And Month = Format$(DateAdd(" & chr(34) & "m" & chr(34) & ",-1,Now())," & chr(34) & "mmmm" & chr(34))

jeran042

Registered User.
Local time
Code:
,"ACCOUNT_NUMBER = '"  5040823 & " ' And Month = 'Format$(DateAdd("m",-1,Now()),"mmmm"'")

Month is a reserved word, but you have bigger issues. You are not building a valid string for your criteria.

A string can be made of 2 things--code and hard-coded text. You can use as many of those 2 things as you want, but when you want to splice them together you need to user an ampersand (&).

variableOne ="This Is hardcoded text."
variableTwo = " So is this."

That hardcoded text is now in variables which is code. I can combine them like so with a space between them by using ampersands:

variableThree= variableOne & " " & variableTwo

I can even use them together like so:

variableFour= variableOne & " And here's even more hard coded text. " & variableTwo

variableFive = variableOne & " And Today's date is:" & Date()

You need to break in and out of hardcoded text and code correctly in building that filter string. Can the value of [Month] literally be the string ''Format$(DateAdd("m",-1,Now()),"mmmm"'? Seems like an odd value for the value of a month.

This is very good background, and I believe I even had it written this way at one point but was still (and currently) getting the #error. I think this gets back to my original question, is there a more efficient way to say sum up "Debits" for Account Number X for the month of X on a form?

jeran042

Registered User.
Local time
Code:
DSum("DEBIT","qryExpense_Report","ACCOUNT_NUMBER = '"  & 5040823 & "' And Month = Format$(DateAdd(" & chr(34) & "m" & chr(34) & ",-1,Now())," & chr(34) & "mmmm" & chr(34))

Thank you very much for your response, however this still goes not give me a result, only a #error?

Also, I never remember to use the "chr(34)" instead of the double quotes, it is much easier to read, I will make this a standard going forward!

arnelgp

Local time
It seems to me your getting the error because of those calculated columns on your first query.

My advise is to do your DSum() against the table/s.

jeran042

Registered User.
Local time
It seems to me your getting the error because of those calculated columns on your first query.

My advise is to do your DSum() against the table/s.

My current formula is:
Code:
=DSum("DEBIT","qryExpense_Report","ACCOUNT_NUMBER = '" & 5040823 & "' And Month = Format$(DateAdd(" & Chr(34) & "m" & Chr(34) & ",-1,Now())," & Chr(34) & "mmmm" & Chr(34))

And I cant run it against the table, as I am trying to pull a variable from a calculated field,

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 03:10
1. 'Month' is a reserved word. When you use reserved words it makes coding more difficult. You need to put brackets around it in your filter string.

2. If you used numbers for your months instead of words, this would get easier. I would rework the [Month] field of your query to use the Month() function instead. Also, give it a new name while you are at it.

3. You still have not used ampersands correctly. You need to identify which part of the criteria string is hard coded and which is actual code and you need to use ampersands appropriately.

arnelgp

Local time
Last resort is to create a function in a module where you can sum the debits of a particular account
Public Function fnActDebit(Byval act as String, byval sQuery As string) As Double
Dim rs As Dao.RecordSet
Dim ret as double
Dim sMonth as string
Smonth=format(dateadd("m",-1,Date),"mmmm")
Set rs=DbEngine(0)(0).OpenRecordset("select [debit] from " & sQuery & " where account_number=" CHR(34) & act & Chr(34))
With rs
If not (.bof and .eof) then .movefirst
While not .eof
If !month=smonth then ret=ret+!debit
.movenext
Wend
.close
End with
Set rs=nothing
fnActDebit=ret
End Function
So yiur unbound textbox rowsource:
=fnActDebit([acctno_textvox],"qryExpense_Report")

Also on the Current event of your form you should requery the unbound textbox:
Unboundtextbox.requery

arnelgp

Local time
Actually you can use the table and need to recreate the calculated column(Month) and directly compare it to another expression (which is last month)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom