North Korea - Fact or Propaganda (1 Viewer)

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:31
One side note, a Chinese company now owns some American food suppliers (Farmland foods and Farmer John foods for example).

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 15:31
China also holds a GINORMOUS amount of stored American currency. A mass sell-off in response to sanctions would utterly tank the value of the dollar, over and beyond the effect of the sanctions themselves.

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
Today, 19:31
It looks like NK is going to have and development it's nuclear arsenal unchallenged then as their is nothing politically than can be done..

Conflict, it appears is the only resolution if the US doesn't want NK to have Nukes...

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
We will never stop trade with China. They are our largest trade partner in the world as far as countries go. It wouldn't just tank our economy, it would impact the entire world economy. That simply won't happen.

And any sanction we place on China would be met with equal sanctions from them. There's no solution there.

The only way to avoid conflict at this point would be for the two politician brats to meet diplomatically and resolve their own egos.

Maybe Dennis Rodman can get it done. :p

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:31
One thing many on this forum would like about NK is no personal gun ownership.

Only the gov't has guns.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
One thing many on this forum would like about NK is no personal gun ownership.

Only the gov't has guns.

This is one thing Communism and Fascism have in common, disarm the people so no one can object.

Mark_

Local time
You do know you don't need a gun to object?

True in many cases. Of course in cases where the government is willing to use force against its citizens, often their first act is disarming the citizens.

So much easier to keep people in chains when you start by taking away their ability to resist.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:31
True in many cases. Of course in cases where the government is willing to use force against its citizens, often their first act is disarming the citizens.

So much easier to keep people in chains when you start by taking away their ability to resist.

I agree - but if guns are I guess the last resort on opposition to the government. I think teh goverment may have already taken away a lot of freedoms by that point anyway.

I guess that how a lot of "patriots" is that what they are called in The US feel. Are they right?

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
There is a real question over the concept of "citizen". Just because you reside in what is called a "country" does not mean that you owe your allegiance to that so-called "country".

Iraq for example is not a real "country". It is an amalgamation of several ethnic and religious groups, some who seek independence like the Kurds. Other current examples include the Catalonians and Scots. Past examples include the Irish and the Sudanese.

Another example, that seems not to hit the headlines, is the plight of the Rohingya in what is now Myanmar (Burma). The current government of Myanmar has been accused of ethnic cleansing.

So depending on the definition of "country" many ethnic/religious groups can be defined as either "patriots" or "terrorists". If the international community gets behind certain groups, they will emerge as "patriots" otherwise they will be vilified as "terrorists".

And in-line with those designations the ownership of weapons (and subsequent violence) is either considered justified or considered illegal.

As a nonsensical example. Many in the US scream hysterically for gun control, yet the US was busy shipping weapons to so-called Syrian rebels. The obvious illogic: it is OK for Syrian dissidents to be armed but not the public of the US even-though it is supposed to be a Constitutional right.

Mark_

Local time
I agree - but if guns are I guess the last resort on opposition to the government. I think teh goverment may have already taken away a lot of freedoms by that point anyway.

I guess that how a lot of "patriots" is that what they are called in The US feel. Are they right?

I think you are thinking of self styled "Militia".

For a better answer on "Is violence the answer", check with anyone who belonged to Sinn Féin. There are those who still resent "English oppressors on Irish soil". Similar sentiments across the globe where any two groups seeks political dominance over the same area.

I've had a few interesting conversations regarding Kosovo with a similar feel. Serbs often feel a right to regain their "Rebel province", Serbs living their feel disenfranchised, and Albanians are worried about an "Armed and belligerent" minority living close by. Many in Kosovo have weapons (legal or otherwise) because they are fearful of the save violence that had gripped the area for decades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom