SQL Server Native Client 11.0 - Some advice please (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 07:02
Good morning AWF,

We have recently upgraded from SQL Server 2008 to 2014 two days ago and the smoke has finally settled. I thought about making a post about the pit-falls (error 44447 and 44446) but since there are NO entries on this forum or any other I frequent I figured it was so infrequent it wouldn't be worth it.

While I was making the DSN for my App, I chose the SQL Server Native Client 11.0 driver and it worked like a charm on my computer but when I deployed it, no one else could use it. It appears that when IT installed SSMS on my machine, the 11.0 driver was installed and no other machine has it.

I changed the driver to the generic SQL driver and all is right in the world.

My question is this, is it worth my time and effort trying to get IT to push this driver to everyone or should I just leave well enough alone?

We are currently using Win 10 64 bit / Office 2013 32 bit. Our IT department are contractors from General Dynamics and the meet any suggestions like this as an all-out attack on cyber security and my argument is going to have to be ultra-compelling.

The fact that it is working as-is will work against just about anything I can come up with so I am hopping to get some pearls of wisdom from some of you.

Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Edit: I will be posting this on the "other" forum most of you frequent so don't give me no sass when you see it!

Edit 2.0
Post from AccessForums.net:
http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=73189&p=405098#post405098

Post from UA:
http://www.utteraccess.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2050198&st=0&#entry2692032
I have actually received a few responses on there, I will share the one that provide a solution

Post from Bytes:
https://bytes.com/topic/sql-server/answers/971189-sql-server-native-client-11-0-some-advice-please

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 11:02
I've found this on 4 forums so far...have I missed any? :)

Please can you post the links to each of the forum posts.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I've found this on 4 forums so far...have I missed any? :)

Only if you’re a member of a Yahoo News Group called Access Professionals (some really smart and helpful individuals on there but the format and readability leaves much to be desired) and two groups on LinkedIn!

Wasn’t aware of the sharing the links protocol but I will take your word for it.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Only if you’re a member of a Yahoo News Group called Access Professionals (some really smart and helpful individuals on there but the format and readability leaves much to be desired) and two groups on LinkedIn!

Wasn’t aware of the sharing the links protocol but I will take your word for it.

Not a member and hadn't heard of it ... i'm far too unprofessional

The linking part is important and is included on the standard advice: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184-A-message-to-forum-cross-posters

Let us know when you get some useful advice

Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
... i'm far too unprofessional

Me too and just about 92.7% of the members! This was actually my first post.

The linking part is important and is included on the standard advice: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184-A-message-to-forum-cross-posters

Somehow I KNEW you were going to respond this way. You remove the man from teaching but you cant remove teaching from the man...

Let us know when you get some useful advice

Will do.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:02
My question is this, is it worth my time and effort trying to get IT to push this driver to everyone or should I just leave well enough alone?
Well, I think the fact that you, as the developer of the application, need to ask this, is a strong indicator that the answer is: No!

If *you* are not able to name any particular feature that is in SQL-Server Native Client, but not in the plain old SQL-Server ODBC driver that your application needs, then there is not much point in forcing the IT guy to upgrade.
- Form my experience, the most commonly missed feature in the old ODBC driver is support for the new Date and DateTime2 data types in SQL-Server.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
- Form my experience, the most commonly missed feature in the old ODBC driver is support for the new Date and DateTime2 data types in SQL-Server.

Very pragmatic answer Sonic8, thank you. A member of UA pretty much said the same thing, however, unlike you he thinks I should install the most current driver for the sake of having the most current driver. And normally I would agree...

But, as you have pointed out, I cannot point to any particular feature to warrant me doing so. My app uses SQL Server solely because my previous set-up which involves Sharepoint was no longer viable. I use only one Pass through query and that was just to experiment with how they work. In other words, I use SQL Server solely as a BE storage and, with the exception of its awesome maintenance plans, nothing else.

In the future I may look at stored procedures and the other features that make SQL an enterprise level option but for now I will keep it simple.

Thanks for the sanity check...

John

SQL_Hell

SQL Server DBA
Local time
Yes 100% use the native client 11.0 driver for both SQL server 2012 and 2014,

I have seen some nasty results of using the incorrect driver with a latter version of SQL Server

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom