Suddenly non updateable recordset (1 Viewer)

Isskint

Slowly Developing
Local time
Today, 01:35
Hi all

A database that has been in use for 3 years, has suddenly today decided a query data source is not updateable. The query includes PK and FK from all parent record sources. The parent record sources are updateable manually.

I tried deleting and recreating the query and form that are causing this, but no change.

I have implemented a workaround for now by setting the Recordset Type from 'Dynaset' to 'Dynaset (Inconsistent Updates)' on the offending form.

Does anyone have a clue why this would happen and how to resolve it in a better way than changing the Recordset Type?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
The normal issue is probably rogue data somewhere.

If nothing else has genuinely been changed, then the data involved is the only possible cause.

Isskint

Slowly Developing
Local time
Hi Colin,

I had used that checklist (from memory) before posting. However, I have just gone through again to be sure.
And I found it. One of the source tables in a JOINed field did not have a PK.
How does a table suddenly lose it's PK?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:35
If this is a shared database, the question is whether someone has corrupted something. Have you tried to Compact & Repair this DB? If it is a production DB, make a backup copy BEFORE you attempt the C & R, just as a safety precaution.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Yesterday, 20:35
Another thought: is the table a linked table? And did someone relink it just before this started happening?

Isskint

Slowly Developing
Local time
Hi Doc,

Split FE / BE. BE on company server, FE on users PC's.

However, i did have to do a C & R this morning on the BE. Can the repair operation remove a PK?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:35
In theory, a C&R can remove anything that is corrupt. The follow-up questions:

1. Did it remove the PK property on a field in a TableDef or did it actually remove the field?

2. If it was only the property that got altered, can you reassert the property?

Isskint

Slowly Developing
Local time
Hi Doc

Yep, only the PK property was removed. I reinstated it and everything works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom