UK Cycle paths Vs Roads (1 Viewer)

Dreamweaver

Local time
Today, 22:26
I ride a cycle not your old boy bike but a road racing bike Image Attached, I tend to go as fast as I can taking into count the road conditions, trafic, weather Etc I do not always ride on the cycle paths as the cycle paths in the UK are designed (D.O.T. Site) for 13mph with a max of 18mph depending on condtions plus any by laws that normally restrict a cyclist to 13mph.

I ride to and from work tonight because I was not on the cycle path (I was doing 20mph ish) some kid in a car slows down and starts shouting at me in the process neally causing an accedent.

I'll be going home the same way tomorrow but this time If the same thing happens I'll get his licence plate and have a ride to the police station and Report him for dangerous driving.

There may not be any laws related to a speed limit on a cycle path but there are the D.O.T. and local bylaws which means if I want to go on a cycle path I have to keep my speed down.

but even when I do ride on a cycle path that is part of a road it is so dangerous I don't feel safe, those drives who flash there light to tell other drivers it's ok the turn right without checking weather there is a cyclist coming down there left side well a lot of drivers should be made to take there tests every 5 years.

I always stop for an emergancy services but it would be nice if drivers would give me time to slow down first as I have 1inch tyres which don't react well to hard breaking I understand people need to pull over for the EM services but they have plenty of time to stop so why panic the moment you here a siren, I would rath not need the ambalance myself thank you very much.

Attachments

• fitbitshare_1647533955.jpg
    fitbitshare_1647533955.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 666

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
"Report him for dangerous driving"? That's a joke.

Cyclists (not all but certainly most) are the perfect stupid nuisance on the roads. They ignore road signs, ignore traffic lights - always go through on red, ignore zebra crossings with people on them, they ride on pavements forcing pedestrians to jump out of the way, hang on to Lorries to save pedalling- shall I go on?

Ok, then they have the nerve to shout at motorists when you breathe a wrong word to them, they think they are god's gift and can do no wrong. Say a word against them and they rush off to the Nick to report you.

The sooner they get off the roads the better, they are a pain in the bum.

Col

Dreamweaver

Local time
I do agree with some off what you said there are a lot who don't know how to use the roads that said it's the same with some drivers

I find rounderbouts fun trying to get into the right lane can prove very hard esp when drivers don't want to let cyclists in.

I thnk there are bad on both side.

I play by the rules when riding I know the highway code as was also a driver.

Dreamweaver

Local time
"when you breathe a wrong word to them

Just noticed this why would you be having words with a cyclist while driving, If you was distracting them they would have a right to say something back

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
It always amazes me to see people complaining about Cyclists.

I rarely see any on the roads, I would say I might see one a day!

So how people can declare so venomously a hate for something which is rarely seen is beyond me.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:26
Your neighborhood doesn't look like this every weekend? :eek:

Attachments

• Bikes.jpg
    Bikes.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 680

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Code:
clearly haven't been to Oxford recently. :D

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Code:
clearly haven't been to Oxford recently. :D

Ah! Oxford, say no more!

I turned down a job in Oxford because the traffic there is so diabolical! And that's not the bikes that's the cars!

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Just noticed this why would you be having words with a cyclist while driving, If you was distracting them they would have a right to say something back

Not whilst driving but when (on the rare occasions) they stop, then they kick your door if you dare to criticise them, and then they ride off on the pavement.

Uncle G, come to Colchester.

Actually what I don't understand is why they think they can ignore traffic laws, you wouldn't do it in a car. Perhaps if you are such a perfect cyclist, maybe you can explain that to us.
Is it as a result of some partial brain removal?

Col

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Its much the same in almost all flat cities in the UK e.g. York/Cambridge/Oxford (as already mentioned)
Somewhat different in e.g. Edinburgh or Bristol

Dreamweaver

Local time
Actually what I don't understand is why they think they can ignore traffic laws, you wouldn't do it in a car.
Col

I think more drivers than cyclists Ignore Travic Laws just tonight Some nice driver decided because there was a cycle lane they could use it to poke there nose half way over it and guess who had to avoid the lawful driver.

I'm going to start a collection of videos when I get my new cam.

I'm not perfect by any means But I don't kick doors even if they think the cycle lane belongs to them.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Swings and roundabouts really.
Today I saw a cyclist ride up a one way street the wrong way and that was only in the small suburb of Swansea where I live.
I used to see cars running red lights on roundabout of J48 of the motorway every day. That was just because that was my route to work.

Dreamweaver

Local time
Swings and roundabouts really.
Today I saw a cyclist ride up a one way street the wrong way and that was only in the small suburb of Swansea where I live.
I used to see cars running red lights on roundabout of J48 of the motorway every day. That was just because that was my route to work.

Yeah I agree there Gasman the thing is though in a car your in a protective cage on a cycle or moterbike you havent any protection.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 09:26
I find roads too dangerous for riding a bicycle. So I ride a unicycle instead.

In Australia a unicyclist is classified as "a pedestrian operating a wheeled recreational device", so we can ride on the footpath as well as roads without marked lanes and having speed limits not above 50 kph.

I can cruise along at about 15 kph and not have to worry much about cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom