Validation rule for NO spaces (1 Viewer)

peskywinnets

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:14
Just has a situation today where my wife entered a product code into a field...but she had added a trailing space (which caused a few problems).

How can I construct a field validation rule to disallow spaces? (either leading or trailing? Would it be something like this...

Is Null OR Not Like "*Chr(32)*"

Thanks!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:14
Hi. By default, Access trims out trailing spaces, if entered manually into a field. Can you try it again to be sure?

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
BeforeUpdate Field=TRIM(Field)

peskywinnets

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. By default, Access trims out trailing spaces, if entered manually into a field. Can you try it again to be sure?

This is a field with a lookup (user-selectable drop down list of product names)...or it can be entered manually ...I'm not sure how she managed it, but for sure there was a trailing space once she'd finished.

BeforeUpdate Field=TRIM(Field)

Thanks but where does that go...in the validation rule?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
This is a field with a lookup (drop down list)...or can be entered manual ...I'm not sure how she magaed it, but for sure there was a trailing space.
But still, are you able to intentionally duplicate the situation? For example, were you able to enter any data with a trailing space? You could try adding spaces at the end of the data when you're entering it into the field, but as soon as you save the data/record, you could go back and check if the trailing spaces are still there. I would just be curious if you were able to do it intentionally.

peskywinnets

Registered User.
Local time
But still, are you able to intentionally duplicate the situation? For example, were you able to enter any data with a trailing space? You could try adding spaces at the end of the data when you're entering it into the field, but as soon as you save the data/record, you could go back and check if the trailing spaces are still there. I would just be curious if you were able to do it intentionally.

You are right...when I put a space at the end of the field, Access removed it...heaven knows how she managed it.

In actual fact the table she added to is sort of a 'scratch' table, I then take data from that table to append to another table ....in the append query I had a trim() for that field, but somehow it still got appended to the destination table with a trailing space...very weird.

Mark_

Local time
Any chance it was a non-printable character? Say a TAB or such?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
You are right...when I put a space at the end of the field, Access removed it...heaven knows how she managed it.

In actual fact the table she added to is sort of a 'scratch' table, I then take data from that table to append to another table ....in the append query I had a trim() for that field, but somehow it still got appended to the destination table with a trailing space...very weird.
Hi. Mark is correct. The Trim() function only removes space characters. There are plenty more characters available that looks like a "space" to our eyes, but they're actually not.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
if she picked an item from a drop-down list, I would check the drop-down list for trailing spaces.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
As others have said, I suspect it was a cut and paste from something and it had a "special" character in it.

Copy the offending item into a proper text editor, and see if you can see it.

peskywinnets

Registered User.
Local time
Thank for all your comments ...alas, I corrected the issue earlier in the day yesterday, so it's gone (I can't examine whether it was a special character now)

As I say, whatever she put at the end of the text, was not removed by a trim() when the data was appended from the table she entered the text, onto another table...so perhaps it was indeed a special character not a space - I'll simply fire her & be done with it ;-)

Thanks once again.

Mark_

Local time
Watch out, if you decide to fire her, she may decide to TERMINATE you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom