When Exporting a table to a Sharepoint list, all primary keys are converted to autonr (1 Viewer)

heathxp

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:11
Hi,

I'm attempting to move all the data (Tables) in sharepoint for team colaboration and data centralization.

Everytime I'm attempting to export a table, sharepoint automatically resets the primary key to AutoNumber.

Because I already have a ton of data in these tables, I certanly need the primary key to remain as it was.

How do I force sharepoint to leave the primary key alone? Should I create an additional ID field and copy the Primary key over?

I'm using access 2013.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. I think you got it. SharePoint will insist on an Autonumber PK column, so you'll have to create an additional column for your old PK field.

heathxp

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. I think you got it. SharePoint will insist on an Autonumber PK column, so you'll have to create an additional column for your old PK field.

Hm, I appreciate this. Would this mess up my Referential Integrity? It looks like if I do that access no longer allows me to cascade delete/update.

Also, what's the recommended usage of the autonumber in this case? I never use it when I design tables. Does sharepoint use it as some Internal Id of some sorts?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hm, I appreciate this. Would this mess up my Referential Integrity? It looks like if I do that access no longer allows me to cascade delete/update.

Also, what's the recommended usage of the autonumber in this case? I never use it when I design tables. Does sharepoint use it as some Internal Id of some sorts?
Hi. Yes, it would mess up with the RI you set in Access. If I remember correctly, SharePoint will automatically switch them to use the new ID column in SharePoint, which of course could be wrong in your case, so you will have to do a mass update to match your old IDs with the new one.
Yes, the ID column in SharePoint is it's implementation of a PK column and used for setting up RIs.
Hope it makes sense...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom