SQL Server Installation Issues (1 Viewer)

Zedster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:16
I have just received a new laptop from our IT department which they always preconfigure with requested software.

The laptop was configured with SQL Server Express 2016/7? and SSMS V18.2.

The SQL Express is for me to "play" with and I use SSMS to connect to SQL Express and the company SQL Server which is 2016.

I have a couple of problems:

• Whilst they have installed SSE I am not the DBA and have not been given permissions to create databases (so not much use really)
  • SSMS V18.2 no longer has a debugger

I would like to remove SSMS V18.2 and replace it with SSMS V17 to get debugger back.

I would also like to install SQL Server Developer Edition 2017 myself a) to learn, b) so I can configure it to grant me permissions to create databases. At this point SSE will be redundant.

Questions:

• Can SQL Server developer 2017 co-exist with SQL Server Express?
  • What version of SSMS does SSD 2017 come with?
  • Would uninstalling SSE 2017 get rid of SSMS V18.2?

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 16:16
I would like to remove SSMS V18.2 and replace it with SSMS V17 to get debugger back.

I would also like to install SQL Server Developer Edition 2017 myself a) to learn, b) so I can configure it to grant me permissions to create databases. At this point SSE will be redundant.
You need admin permissions to do that. - If you had them, you would be able to create databases in the existing installation.

Questions:

• Can SQL Server developer 2017 co-exist with SQL Server Express?
Yes.

• Would uninstalling SSE 2017 get rid of SSMS V18.2?
Pay attention to what you are uninstalling. The server and the client tools may be different components of the setup or might be different installations altogether.

Zedster

Registered User.
Local time
You need admin permissions to do that. - If you had them, you would be able to create databases in the existing installation.

I have admin permissions on the laptop. I am trying to create the database and data in the instance of SQL Server Express that accompanies the book T-SQL Fundamentals found here: http://tsql.solidq.com/books/tf3/

The first few lines of code are:

Code:
-- 1. Connect to your SQL Server instance, master database

-- 2. Run the following code to create an empty database called TSQLV4
USE master;

-- Drop database
IF DB_ID(N'TSQLV4') IS NOT NULL DROP DATABASE TSQLV4;

-- If database could not be created due to open connections, abort
IF @@ERROR = 3702 
   RAISERROR(N'Database cannot be dropped because there are still open connections.', 127, 127) WITH NOWAIT, LOG;

-- Create database
CREATE DATABASE TSQLV4;
GO

USE TSQLV4;
GO

I get the following:

Msg 262, Level 14, State 1, Line 38
CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'.
Msg 911, Level 16, State 1, Line 41
Database 'TSQLV4' does not exist. Make sure that the name is entered correctly.
Msg 15247, Level 16, State 1, Line 83
User does not have permission to perform this action.
Msg 2759, Level 16, State 0, Line 83
CREATE SCHEMA failed due to previous errors.
Msg 15247, Level 16, State 1, Line 85

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:16
Some employees like myself are given permissions to manipulate there own databases via SSMS. My permissions do not allow for creating new databases within the master. So either IT creates new space then allows me access to it, or I have to keep adding to the database I currently use.

Since the databases I currently use are related in scope to my job I choose to remain in the original (container) space.

After 10 years of doing this I have not encountered any space limitations, just clutter.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
It looks like it's telling you you can't create a database in the system Master database - which you can't. I think that is protected from containing other databases with good reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom