Every Growing Database and Compact doesn't work (1 Viewer)

JeffCooper

Local time
Today, 10:47
I have been having a problems with an Access 2016 database app I have created.

I created a time entry application first where about 200 users can enter in their weekly timesheets and generate reports. I made this into an ACCDE, which compiles down to about 2 meg for the app. A user can refresh their historical time sheets from the back end database to their local application and enter in hours without logging on to the system. They can just save their time sheet to the back end database at the end of the week when they are connected to the network. The Access ACCDE does not grow in application size and operates without any problems or locking issues.

I just created another Access application and it compile down to around 5 meg. Every time I log on to the Access application, it grows in size. Even if you repair and compact the database it never goes back to 5 meg or the file size that it was before the repair and compact. It keeps growing and growing to over 100 meg. The only way to get it back to the original size is to create a blank database and reimport all the tables, forms, queries, reports, and modules. I have looked at everything and the new Access application follows the same rules as the first Access application. Any ideas on why the second database behaves differently?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:47
Hi. Just curious, are you, by any chance, using temporary tables?

JeffCooper

Local time
No temporary tables just a few local tables like the first app.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:47
Something is being appended WITHOUT being deleted. By any chance, do you have anything that does OLE operations? Importing an object? Using an attachment field (and then actually attaching something)?

JeffCooper

Local time
Both Apps have delete and insert queries. There are no ole objects or attachments in the tables. There are a couple of calculated fields. I checked and the table doesn't increase or decrease in number of records. I can just close and open the database without doing anything and it keeps growing.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Both Apps have delete and insert queries. There are no ole objects or attachments in the tables. There are a couple of calculated fields. I checked and the table doesn't increase or decrease in number of records. I can just close and open the database without doing anything and it keeps growing.
Hi. Opening and closing without you doing anything doesn't mean there are no code in the database that does something like deleting and inserting a lot of records. Is there? If you disable all the code from the database and then open and close it, does it still increase in size?

apr pillai

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 20:17
Check with your Network Administrator about your Disk-Quota Allocation. You need double the size of your Database Free Space on Server to Compact your large database.

JeffCooper

Local time
There is plenty of disk space for a compact and repair. The queries do run but add less than 10,000 rows in entirety. I tried removing the calculated fields from the front end and back end. The Access database should go back to its original size and not keep growing and growing. Ugh

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
There is plenty of disk space for a compact and repair. The queries do run but add less than 10,000 rows in entirety. I tried removing the calculated fields from the front end and back end. The Access database should go back to its original size and not keep growing and growing. Ugh
Hi Jeff. Since we cannot see into your environment, I'm afraid it's very hard to offer any potential solution for your issue. If you have disabled all code and macros and still seeing the file size increase, then it could be something else outside of your database that's affecting it.

JeffCooper

Local time
I know my current company doesn't want to give out details. If I find something I will share the solution. Thanks

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:47
Let's be clear. Databases don't grow unless (a) they are corrupt in a bizarre way or (b) despite you not knowing about it, some code IS running somewhere. Do you have an "opening form" defined? Because there is where you look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom