Find Unmatched records using AND criteria (1 Viewer)

Gavx

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:48
I would like to find all records in tblImport that does not have matching records in tblAccountTransactions.

In both tables I have Amount, Date and Description. I need to use an AND statement in the criteria.
That is, using all 3 fields (Amount AND Date AND Description) from tblImport find non matching records using Amount AND Date AND Decription to find all non matching records.
It seems like it is a compound index situation.

How can this be done?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 12:48
Have you tried using the unmatched query wizard?
Although the wizard only allow you to join on one field, you can add the other two fields yourself in design view

BTW Date is a reserved word in Access and should not be used for field names. Use e.g. TransactionDate

The result will be something like this

Code:
SELECT tblImport.*
FROM tblImport LEFT JOIN tblAccountTransactions ON tblImport.[TransactionDate] = tblAccountTransactions.[TransactionDate]
WHERE (((tblAccountTransactions.TransactionDate) Is Null) AND ((tblAccountTransactions.Description) Is Null) AND ((tblAccountTransactions.Amount) Is Null));

You can then change this into an append query to add the unmatched records to tblAccountTransactions

Code:
INSERT INTO tblAccountTransactions ( TransactionDate, Description, Amount )
SELECT DISTINCT tblImport.TransactionDate, tblImport.Description, tblImport.Amount
FROM tblImport LEFT JOIN tblAccountTransactions ON tblImport.[TransactionDate] = tblAccountTransactions.[TransactionDate]
WHERE (((tblAccountTransactions.TransactionDate) Is Null) AND ((tblAccountTransactions.Description) Is Null) AND ((tblAccountTransactions.Amount) Is Null));

Hope that helps

Gavx

Registered User.
Local time
Have you tried using the unmatched query wizard?
Although the wizard only allow you to join on one field, you can add the other two fields yourself in design view

BTW Date is a reserved word in Access and should not be used for field names. Use e.g. TransactionDate

Yes have used the unmatched query wizard without success.
My mistake, the field Date is really TransactionDate.

The result will be something like this

Code:
SELECT tblImport.*

This is asking me for Parameter values for tblAccountTransactions.Description and tblAccountTransactions.Amount.

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Gavx

Can you post a copy of the db with just a few fictitious record that illustrate the problem

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
It should work. See attached for a quick example

Check you have the same data types for each field in the two tables
Also that you haven't asked for parameters in the query design

Attachments

• GavXTest.zip
    28.2 KB · Views: 88

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:48
Hi Gavx. Where is the data from tblImport coming from? I'm just curious why you have two tables with the same data. Also, "matching" on Description (assuming it's a memo field) will probably be slow and only match the first 255 chars (just a guess).

Gavx

Registered User.
Local time
Where is the data from tblImport coming from? I'm just curious why you have two tables with the same data. Also, "matching" on Description (assuming it's a memo field) will probably be slow and only match the first 255 chars (just a guess).

tblImport is created from a text file import and holds superfluous transactions that need to be weeded out - the balance of the transactions are appended to the tblAccountTransactions.

Thanks for the pointer re memo fields. Fortunately it isn't.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:48
tblImport is created from a text file import and holds superfluous transactions that need to be weeded out - the balance of the transactions are appended to the tblAccountTransactions.

Thanks for the pointer re memo fields. Fortunately it isn't.
Hi. Thanks for the clarification. So, were you able to get it to work?

Gavx

Registered User.
Local time
Sorted and thanks for asking.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom