Low motivation (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 09:48
I have hit a wall and it is really bothering me.

I have a list of things I NEED to finish up at work (regarding my 2 applications) but when I get to work, I cannot motivate myself into action. I am able to get away with it because the Access Dev portion of my job is collateral, even though everyone KNOWS it was the real reason I was hired.

It is an easy enough fix: just do it. But I have been unable to kick myself into gear. I was certain a 3 week vacation in the States would help me out of my slump, but I have been back for a week and I have only accomplished 2 things: Jack & Sugar Honey Iced Tea.

Going to give it a go tomorrow...wish me luck!

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:48
I struggle with motivation when I know I am not going to get clear space to do the work. Constant interruption makes it really hard to focus on the development and wastes a lot of time.

I usually try to get as many other things out of the way as I can before going back to development.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Not sure what the task is, but if the problem is burnout, a break is supposed to take care of that. If it's a sense of being overwhelmed, then I do have a suggestion.

Once I built a large house and did a LOT of the work myself while still putting 40 hours a week in shifts at a full time job. After 6 months we were able to move in but there was still a TON of things to do. At one point, I was paralyzed (not literally) by the number of remaining tasks and the feeling that it would never end. I quickly found that if I had a list of chores, I not only could cherry pick according to the resources or time that I had available, but as I completed a task, I would cross it off. After a short while the feeling of being overwhelmed went away because I could actually see progress according to the list. Sure, progress exists because things get done but the notion is somewhat intangible. There is nothing like having it displayed in front of you as a series of crossed out entries. So the suggestion is to formulate a list to organize tasks but more importantly, to see progress. Here's a pic of the house:

Attachments

• 2891RR9b.jpg
    2891RR9b.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 188

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:48
I have the same problem.

The problem is getting the motivation to take on what appears to be insurmountable task.

I will avoid it by going on forums - AWF! Doing minor paperwork bookkeeping type jobs. Sometimes I will watch Netflix.

I understand it's nothing unusual, however not many will admit to it!

The solutions I have found that gets me out of this rut like you have done, is take a vacation from it.

And if like you have found, on your return, you just can't get back in the groove, then another thing I have found useful is that I use the Pomodoro Technique.

I don't do more than half an hour work without a break.

And when I say a break, I mean a proper break, have a cup of coffee, a chat with colleagues, a walk, in other words a complete separation from your computer and that toxic environment.

At first you might only do 15 minutes of work and find yourself having an half an hour or even an hour break. But soon you will find that you no longer stop working after half an hour for a break, you will find yourself doing an hour and a half before you need a break. In other words you break through that brick wall!

But don't forget, even when you do breakthrough the brick wall, don't forget about the Pomodoro Technique, (as I have done to my cost on occasion) drop it at your peril, you can quickly find yourself back where you started hating the bloody task in front of you.

And if you really get stuck, don't forget about here AWF. Come here and have a rant. I have noticed lately more personable communications coming out on AWF, more real feelings coming from real men like you, and that gives me hope that the world is changing for the better.

We are slowly pushing away the the crap we were brought up with, to be insular, untouchable, unemotional, and for Christ's sake, we are only human.

Sent from Newbury UK

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 08:48
Gent,

I have the problem on an intermittent basis, but not lately. I just hope that my recent posts around the watercooler here have not in some way contributed to you feeling less motivated than you normally are. I'm not sure what I could've done, I'm just saying that some of the crap I post might seem intimidating especially when it's non-access related. I get that all the time with people who either comment on my supposed "high level" of intelligence (which is bs) or my physical build (the body building thing).

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Constant interruption makes it really hard to focus on the development and wastes a lot of time.

Thanks G and it is the constant interruption that I allow to bother me as well. But I know I am using it as an excuse because when I am really engaged, the building could collapse around me and I would not notice.

Micron: First off, that is one impressive house, well done! I am in a similar situation but my house was built for me. My involvement was a simple paver patio that proved to be much more labor intensive than I thought - the damn Youtube videos made it look so easy! I returned to Italy exhausted, battered and bruised. Add to that jet-lag and it could explain why I have not been able to jump back in...

Tony:
And if like you have found, on your return, you just can't get back in the groove, then another thing I have found useful is that I use the Pomodoro Technique.

Plenty of pomodori here in Italy! Yours and Microns advice is spot-on and I will be taking them in big doses in the following days to come. I thank you both for the advice and kind words.

I have noticed lately more personable communications coming out on AWF, more real feelings coming from real men like you, and that gives me hope that the world is changing for the better.

We are slowly pushing away the the crap we were brought up with, to be insular, untouchable, unemotional, and for Christ's sake, we are only human.

Praise indeed, thank you. You touch upon a subject that is intriguing to me here lately. There is no doubt that the men of our day were encouraged to be, as you say "insular, untouchable, unemotional" and I think it is good that it has changed. That being said, I do lament the passing of the "just suck it up" mentality at times. Seems everyone just wants to be offended and talk about their feelings instead of just getting it done - much like the OP of this post :D

Adam: Rest easy lad, I have endured many a challenging personality than yours. If you want to get to me, you're going to have to bring some heavier "stuff"!

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Thanks for the compliment. Unfortunately I had to leave it after just 5 years but that's another story. Was supposed to be my last house for many years but life had other ideas. 100 cubic yards of concrete in that sucker!

re: the 'kindness' comments. I was thinking that it's true around here, but it's inherent in the nature of the kind of people that lurk here all the time. Maybe I'm out to lunch but I figure if it's in your nature to continually help others while expecting nothing in return then you're more likely to have plenty of empathy to go around. Besides, this sort of help is really not that much different is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom