Is God made of silicon? (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 19:02
For the agnostic members, Zecharia Sitchin has a series of books, The 12th Planet. And interesting read....

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:02
Wouldn't there have to be another entity above the silicon God? Who/What would have made it?

Nope. It evolved.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:02
Wouldn't there have to be another entity above the silicon God? Who/What would have made it?

@NauticalGent, for the first point, if so, wouldn't there have to be another entity above our currently understood universe, thus proving a God?!

For your second point, you could also ask what/who made the actual universe that we live in, as we currently understand it. If it was already there, with all its huge complexity, could not a silicon God always have been there?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
So far we have only two opposing views on this broad-brush topic. Either there is a god of some sort (silicon, traditional organic, energy-only, something) and we have strict causality deriving from this god's actions; or we have a probabilistic-based causality that doesn't require a god, just amenable conditions.

Is there a third "creation" position about which anyone has heard?

Having asked the question, I'm on the the probability track that says we don't need a creator, silicon or otherwise. But here is another question to confound the issue. According to cosmologists, time didn't exist until a certain event started it. But that implies a causality chain. We have a sense of time, but that is bound out with space-time per Albert Einstein. Is there another type of time that is outside of our traditional sense of the flow of time?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Is time actually "a thing"? I read somewhere that it might not be.We have labelled nothing, but it seems so real to us.

Maybe the question of whether or not we need a creator is a non-question. Something happened. The universe happened. It was created, somehow. We don't know how but we have lots of hypotheses. Many of these hypotheses are based on cause and effect reasoning. Nice and sciencey.

The creator idea seems a bit "out-there" to some. But who says a creator has to be a conscious entity that thinks and plans? Why can't a creator be two particles entangling causing some kind of massive explosion leading to a lot more particles, leading to stars and ultimately us doubting humans?

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
well I don't know Jon, but according to the bible, the early earth dwellers like adam, cain, able, shem, noah, etc. lived for 900+ years. and then I believe somewhere in genesis God says specifically through Moses that he will limit man's years to 100. so take of that what you will I guess. as far extending life is concerned, have you seen this article on wikipedia? Those are pretty amazing records!

Damn, bet she was pissed that she died 2 days too early to have lived through two centuries..

Sarah Knauss[8]
24 September 1880
30 December 1999
119 years, 97 days
United States

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 19:02
@NauticalGent, for the first point, if so, wouldn't there have to be another entity above our currently understood universe, thus proving a God?!

It would - The One Above All!

For your second point, you could also ask what/who made the actual universe that we live in, as we currently understand it. If it was already there, with all its huge complexity, could not a silicon God always have been there?

Too deep for me. I do not believe that our world and "we" simply spawned forth out of whatever bits of matter happened to come into contact with each other - either by a Big Bang or by other means.

Problem is, I have no other explanation to offer! Christianity has NEVER made any sense to me but I DO believe that a superior being(s) are responsible - The 12th Planet series I mentioned earlier offers a much more viable explanation but even if I swallowed the author's assertion, WHERE does the Annukai's origins lie?

Would not THAT race have to have a sort of deity responsible for their existence as well - given that I cannot fathom the BBT?

The only thing I know for sure it that I dont know a damn thing - and you know what? I am ok with that!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Then, of course, there is Robert A Heinlein's "The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag" about a guy who meets the titular character under unusual circumstances, only to find out that he is a critic who is judging the work of some aspiring supernatural entities. The Earth just happens to be a school class project - that is getting a failing grade, by the way, and is scheduled for disassembly once the class finishes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom