"there isn't enough memory to perform this operation" (1 Viewer)

eepok

Noob. Well, mostly noob.
Local time
Today, 10:49
Hey all,

Hope everyone's holidays went (or still are going) well. Today's my first day back at work and I went to make a few changes to one of my databases but when I went to open one of the forms in the database (and only this form), I got the error:

"There isn't enough memory to perform this operation. Close unneeded programs and try the operation again."

This threw me back as I run a very light system (1GB memory, but 85MB boot up). I had Firefox running with GMail open and CoolPlayer (low-footprint, opensource MP3 player) playing some tunes. All other forms opened up just fine, so I closed Firefox, closed CoolPlayer and tried opening the form again and received the same error.

I decided then to close Access (2003, SP2), make a quick copy/paste backup, and restart Access. I did so, tried to open the form, and got the same error.

I then did a compact/repair, opened Access, tried to open the form, and still got the same error.

I searched around for people with a similar problem (high frequency occurrence for some) and stumbled across a Microsoft page which described the issue as fixed via hotfix post-SP1. As I am using Access 2003 SP2, I'm feeling rather discouraged.

Has anyone run across this problem before?
Does anyone have a solution as to how I should go about repairing that form?

DJkarl

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:49
Can you open the form in design view? If so look at the forms open and load events, I'm assuming there is code there and the code is generating this error. If there is code put in a break point and then try stepping through the code 1 line at a time via the <F8> key.

eepok

Noob. Well, mostly noob.
Local time
Can you open the form in design view? If so look at the forms open and load events, I'm assuming there is code there and the code is generating this error. If there is code put in a break point and then try stepping through the code 1 line at a time via the <F8> key.

Nope, that's the real brain buster for me-- I can't open in design, form, or print preview.

I think I may just recreate the form from a back up and spend some time reconnecting the button functions. I doubt it would take longer than figuring out the source of the problem.

DJkarl

Registered User.
Local time
Nope, that's the real brain buster for me-- I can't open in design, form, or print preview.

I think I may just recreate the form from a back up and spend some time reconnecting the button functions. I doubt it would take longer than figuring out the source of the problem.

Is this a bound form then? If it's bound to a table or query try opening either of those directly and see if the error is generated, but ultimately I think recreating it would be your best bet.

eepok

Noob. Well, mostly noob.
Local time
Is this a bound form then? If it's bound to a table or query try opening either of those directly and see if the error is generated, but ultimately I think recreating it would be your best bet.

I opened the query to which the form was bound and all the tables associated with the query and found no errors. This is good news as it's evidently a simple form corruption and I've been able to re-create the form with no problems whatsoever.

I just wish I knew what happened so I could (1) prevent it in the future and (2) be able to help others if the problem pops up again.

eepok

Noob. Well, mostly noob.
Local time
I guess I should bump this for some updates.

I just edited another form in the same database and got the same error, effectively killing that form.

Hardware Variables:
Dell Latitude D620 w/
Intel Core 2 @ 2GHz
1GB RAM
2x Kingston 1GB flash drives attached
Laptop is plugged into the wall

Significant Background Processes:
McAfee Virus Scan (active)
Intel Wireless Connection agent

Active Programs:
Firefox with about 10 tabs open
Access 2003 SP2
CoolPlayer (low footprint MP3 player)

Most recent actions up to symptomatic behavior:
2 forms opened, working on one in Design mode
copied 4 rectangles over
made 3 buttons (next record, previous record, save record)
Opened header properties, copied color, opened footer properties, pasted color
Saved form
Closed form
Opened main form
clicked button to open form I had been working on
received the error.

eepok

Noob. Well, mostly noob.
Local time
More information: I just checked the virus scanner and it has been running a background scan since about 5 minutes before the error happened. The scan is automatic and beyond my control as I am forced to use a crippled-permissions account on this school-owned laptop.

I would not be surprised if the error and the scan are related.

Rhyde

Local time
Today, 13:49
Hi There

I have also encountered this problem, and it seems to occur when you copy data from one form to another. I noticed that you were copying boxes, and so I think this is the culprit. To avoid, I think you will need to build those boxes rather than copy them in.

Rigbie

Local time
I agree that it may have to do with adding the boxes. I just had this happen to me for the first time today. Everything was going great 'til I decided to add a Yes/No checkbox to my report. As soon as I added the check box (using the toolbox) to the detail section the whole thing locked up on me. I restarted Access and tried to open the report just to get the error message no matter which view I try. If anyone finds a fix please post. I'm off to start re-creating my report now. :(

eepok

Noob. Well, mostly noob.
Local time
I agree that it may have to do with adding the boxes. I just had this happen to me for the first time today. Everything was going great 'til I decided to add a Yes/No checkbox to my report. As soon as I added the check box (using the toolbox) to the detail section the whole thing locked up on me. I restarted Access and tried to open the report just to get the error message no matter which view I try. If anyone finds a fix please post. I'm off to start re-creating my report now. :(

As an update, I've found no solution through my own experimentation nor through others. I've only learned that the quickest way to recover is to suck it up and re-create the form. =\

unclejoe

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:49
If the database is over a network and if you’re using the wireless to connect to it. Don’t! Wireless is prone to cause corruption.

Here’s a good site about database corruption by Allen Browne.

http://allenbrowne.com/ser-47.html

And while you still can access to the database, use the Database Issue Checker.

http://allenbrowne.com/AppIssueChecker.html

Hey all,
Hope everyone's holidays went (or still are going) well. Today's my first day back at work and I went to make a few changes to one of my databases but when I went to open one of the forms in the database (and only this form), I got the error:
snip...
QUOTE]

jazzjeff

Local time
Memory error - initial thoughts

Does anyone know how to resolve the issue of the memory error, forget the replications, etc. When I go in to do any substantial editing of a form or report access just bombs out and the form or report becomes unusable. Now i hit save after every little change i make but that is such a rediculous way to program. We are on 2003, sp3 hotfix for memory error from msft installed.

Any ideas?

jeff
e-vents Registration

zeLounge

Local time
hello...
well... I have encountered that issues at some occasions... I somehow managed by creating a new project database and importing everything from the faulty one. Also had a issue of access freezing on a specific object (report, form, query...) when importing, that suggested me not to import that object and recovering the rest.

I also noted that during development, trouble shooting a form (for example), having it running and at the same time correcting the code may lead to some internal mixup, and not being able to save my changes (getting the same error as you get). I sometime solve that issue, after reopening the DB, by cutting the whole code of a form and pasting it right back. it seems to force access to reinitialize event properties of the form... and solving the issue.

during dev, there are a few this I do quite frequently:
- saving (obviously, average every 10 min)
- cutting, rePasting the code (whenever the behavior is ackward and when I consider a object to be completed, for the time being)
- copy-backup the DBs 2-3 times a day (I wrote a little sub to copy all thrue the window shell with date and incrementing number added in the filename)(with shell copy it's fast and I don't have to close the db)
- decompile, compact-repair, reopen (whenever I notice the DB to grow too much, from 50mb up to 200mb. Some days I do it twice)

I got accustomed to these tasks... and since I have had very few problems.

cheers.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You say you are on a privilege-restricted system, so this might not be feasible. However, sometimes the problem isn't physical memory, it is virtual memory. Check the disk in question to see if your disk is full. If so, do some disk cleanup.

If not, ask your administrator to check how much swap space is allocated, since you might also be out of swap space (affects the largest virtual space you can define.)

Geezer

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:49
Similar Issue

Just had a similar issue after trying to alter some code in the master form.

Had a look at the size of the corrupt DB and it had shrunk from ~74MB to 456KB :eek:

Luckily I have backup copies of the DB.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I run into this with amazing frequency. In my case, the problem is usually caused by adding a control and then deleting its attached label. If you need to do this, add the control, CLOSE the form, then reopen the form and delete the label, CLOSE the form again and reopen to continue working. Simply saving the form isn't enough. You actually need to close the form.

Air_Cooled_Nut

Registered User.
Local time
Re: "there isn't enough memory to perform this operation" SOLVED!

I had the same issue :mad: I added a Label to a completed form and !bam!, I got this error message and couldn't get the form back...which was a lot of work to create. After searching I came across this:
http://www.archivum.info/microsoft.public.access/2008-05/msg04546.html
and it WORKED!

I opened my .mdb with the bad form, went into the Visual Basic Editor within Access (Alt + F11), opened the Immediate Window (Ctrl + G for Access 2007), and typed in the following:
Application.SaveAsText acForm, "ContractCloseout", "C:\zzRevive"
where "ContractCloseout" is the name of my form I lost and "C:\zzRevive" is the file path to save the form as text. I then opened a new database and went into the VB Editor, Immediate Window, and typed in:
Application.LoadFromText acForm, "ContractCloseout", "C:\zzRevive"
and my form, in all its glory, was back and with its VB code as well!!

So what you can do is export the form as a text file (Application.SaveAsText), delete the offending form (I did a right-click on it and selected Delete), go into the VBE, open the Immediate Window, and import the text file (Application.LoadFromText) that was just saved. Done!

I'm just an Access intermediate user and don't frequent here so this is all the help I can offer but this thread came up on many searches, without a solution, so I offer this proven one. Good Luck! :)

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Today, 18:49
To continue on from the last thread the syntax is slighlty out. To save a form as a text file you need

Code:
Application.SaveAsText acForm, "YourFormNameHere", "C:\Path\Filename.txt"

Then to retrieve the form use

Code:
Application.LoadFromText acForm, "NewFormNameHere", "C:\Path\Filename.txt"

Remember to delete the offending form name before loading the new one from text. It is also worthwhile performing a compact and repair, then exiting Access. Re open the mdb and load the form from text file.

If you have to provide documentation for your application you can use this technique to create text files that contain all the information about your forms. Then should anyone modify your form at any point or it becomes corrupt you can restore it from the text file. You can be really clever and create a support database that would be similar to the MSysObjects table that contains a list of all your objects and store the contents of the text files into a memo field.

David

Air_Cooled_Nut

Registered User.
Local time
Oops, you're right, I should've added the file extension :eek: I initially didn't use one and it worked fine. Great idea about the documentation! :cool:

Singh400

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:49
Just had this happen to me. I had just added a label to my main form (frmBookings) and gave it a hyperlink to another form in the same database. I then tried to go into form view, but it wouldn’t. It was just ignoring my command. So I saved, closed the design view and tried to re-open the form. And it gave me that error :( Tried everything listed in this thread, but nothing work. In the end I had to revert to an old backup and just import the new qrys, frms and rpts I made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom