Desktop pic keeps resetting (1 Viewer)

blondie_babie89

Local time
Today, 13:40
I have a Durabook laptop with windows xp on it. I had windows automatic updates turned on. After my copmuter added 52 updates I have this problem: Everytime I turn my computer on the desktop is black instead of being the picture I have set it to. I have to reset it to the picture I want evertime the computer is turned on or I have had a window up for a period of time (i.e. internet explorer). Could someone please tell me what is causing this problem and how to fix it???

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 18:40
I'm not sure what's causing this, but would suggest the following :

Go to desktop > properties > desktop tab > set background to none and hit desktop edit button . Then hit button set standard settings and hit OK.

Close down your laptop and restart it.
If there is no black screen select the background pic whatever you like.

Hth

blondie_babie89

Local time
Thats the problem is it reverts back to the standard settings every time I start my computer. Maybe it has something to do with the updates from windows..i don't know??? i don't know if this helps or not but after windows added all these updates it says my computer did not pass genuine windows validation. i bought the computer with wondows pre-installed. Maybe this has something to do with the desktop settings resetting itself?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 10:40
Is the pic you select on the computer itself or on a network location. I've had it happen like that before if I chose a network location and it can't get to the network on boot it doesn't have the pic.

rainman89

I cant find the any key..
Local time
Check this out... Direct from Windozesssss................

"Desktop background change
If your copy of Windows fails validation, the desktop will also be set to a plain black background. You may reset the background to a wallpaper or to another background color, but the desktop will be reset to a plain black color every 60 minutes, until your copy of Windows passes validation."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905474

blondie_babie89

Local time
Well thank you very much. But is there anyway of getting rid of the windows validation thing. like i said windows came pre-installed when i got the computer so i don't understand why it won't pass validation

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 10:40
Well thank you very much. But is there anyway of getting rid of the windows validation thing. like i said windows came pre-installed when i got the computer so i don't understand why it won't pass validation

Where'd you buy the computer? You can try contacting Microsoft but the likelihood is, that someone got your key, or you bought your computer from a disreputable dealer, and the key got activated on more than one computer and now it is marked as not genuine. You will likely have to buy another copy of Windows. Hey, just buy Win7 when it comes out in 20 days.

Atomic Shrimp

Humanoid lifeform
Local time
Today, 17:40
If you have the certificate of authenticity sticker for your installation of windows (usually a green and purple label affixed to the underside of the laptop), you should be able to contact Microsoft by telephone and get them to talk you through activation - details here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom