Site restored (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:58
The site has been restored to about 24 hours ago. The power outage at the data centre caused crashed tables. Rather than try to repair them and risk having a database lacking integrity, I decided to get the most recent backup.

So, you will have lost all posts in the last 24 hours. But better that than a site that starts to get more and more problems in the future.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:58
Thanks Jon. At least they had a backup! As somebody mentioned elsewhere, I'm surprised a data center doesn't have backup power. We're a relatively small company and we have a generator that kicks in as soon as the power goes out. That and UPS units keep everything important running no matter what.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I was told that their backup power supply also developed a fault. I was arguing all day with my host to get them to restore from a backup rather than do a repair. They seemed to be very reluctant. Probably takes a bit more effort. But we all know what can happen to an Access database if it gets corrupted. Better to get a non-corrupt version thank you.

mdlueck

Sr. Application Developer
Local time
Today, 13:58
I was arguing all day with my host to get them to restore from a backup rather than do a repair.

Say Jon, I would be happy to share a bit of my Bash scripting knowledge with you. I have scripted reliable MySQL backups (both MyISAM and InnoDB formats), retain N days worth of backups, and send an email alert when a backup should fail. I also scripted a download of the web server daily backup to a computer at our office location. No need to deal with the hosting provider in that case. :cool:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
That is very kind of you. Regretfully, my knowledge is a bit weak in how to backup etc. But my host advertises hourly backups, nightly, etc. They are a top end host for forums but their data centre let them down.

I think I need to workout how to do a single backup first! I've had my host do it for me before so I could download, but I need to learn it myself really. I should run through an online course or something, but, like some new Access users, I find it a bit overwhelming!

mdlueck

Sr. Application Developer
Local time
Today, 13:58
Check your email address, Jon. ;)

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:58
Look into bit level backup systems. Basically they take a snapshot of the file system and then any changes are recorded with timestamps. It is like backup up the changed files but right down at the bit level.

They are superfast and use very little bandwidth to transfer offsite so they can be run virtually continuously. The optimal time between snapshots depends on how much your data changes.

When failure strikes you might only lose a few seconds of data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom