Go Back   Access World Forums > Non-Access Issues > Gaming

Old 08-01-2018, 09:47 AM   #31
Vassago
Administrator

Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about
Re: Upcoming games

I get the appeal, but after a while, you don't have anything to work toward. What are you even playing for? There comes a time when the game just gets old.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:28 AM   #32
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.
Mark_ will become famous soon enough

@Frothingslosh,

Finally got myself to finish the game as BoS. I'm firmly convinced they are less ethical than the Institute. Their actions and missions are much closer to what one would expect from the Soviets under Stalin than a group actually dedicated to helping people. It is pretty disturbing when you think through the ethics of their actions. It is something I will not be doing again.

Is it sad when you find a group you like less than the Nukaworld Raiders?
Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:03 PM   #33
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough

LOL

I found the raiders to be worse, personally, but I've definitely also always really disliked the traditional BoS, and I think it's a crying shame that they've rejected the lessons they learned travelling across the continent.

Vassago - I've always preferred 'sandbox' MMORPG's like EVE Online specifically because the stories in 'amusement park' type ones always get old and devolve into doing the same old, same old. At least with EVE, the other players being your endgame made it stay interesting.

Frothingslosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:26 PM   #34
Mark_

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.

@ Frothingslosh,

I take it you haven't run through the BoS story line then? You get sent to kill Danse, you get sent to kill the Railroad. You get a reason that is less ethical than just "We wanna grab their stuff" in both cases. Plus I hate how they want you to kill the kid.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:56 PM   #35
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough

Oh, I find the whole 'rape, pillage, and enslave' thing the raiders have going to be somewhat more offensive than the BoS. Raiders are into a lot worse than 'we wanna grab their stuff', and I guarantee you most of them wouldn't think twice about killing a human kid, much less a synth one.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:00 PM   #36
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Also, I can't find it now, but I once found this YouTube video about why killing Shaun is the only ethical approach. Basically, it hinges on how the real Shaun never saw synths as anything other than machines, how utterly out of character it would be for him to want a child synth to be raised as a human, and how amazingly dangerous a synth sleeper agent brought up as a human could actually be. Especially how even as a child, Synth!Shaun loves to build weapons and weapon mods.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:44 PM   #37
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,192 Times in 1,092 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

When it comes to the Battle Tech universe, I have some fun memories of a variant thereof. I was introduced to robot warfare in Mech Warrior 2, which I liked a lot. But my little grandson LOVED it. He learned to play computer games on his grandpa's knee, with that pudgy little fist barely managing to hold on to a fat joystick. But he got to be a good shot with it. However, I found quickly that I needed the "infinite ammo" cheat code. Aiming, he learned fast. Ammo conservation? Not so much. Little T was often heard to say "Paw Paw, T play BOOM." Because any computer game involving explosions was a "Boom" to him. And I always knew which one he wanted.

My SECOND grandson has taken over my computer to play Fallout 4 and a few other games that tickle his fancy. I have to get my gaming done in the mornings because when we pick him up after school, he RACES through the homework because our deal is "no computer time until the homework is done."

I have some peace of mind with Skyrim because I have no competition issues. Little Mister A doesn't care for sword-and-sorcery FPS games. He's like his big brother T, who was a big-loud-guns person through and through.

The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:17 AM   #38
Mark_

'rape, pillage, and enslave' is horrible.
Then again only the BoS is shown as actively committing genocide. Their stated objectives include killing all super mutants and all ghouls. They also decided to kill everyone in the Railroad only because they helped synths escape the commonwealth.

They do seem to indulge in both pillage and enslavement though. They don't call you a 'slave', they just demand that you provide resources... or else. Rather like the Soviet Union under Stalin. You are free to do what ever your masters say you can do.

Only thing going for them is BoS isn't into torture like the Disciples are.

On the plus side now I get to start a new game and try out Sim Settlement! This time around I'll do Minutemen as my preferred faction.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:08 PM   #39
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,192 Times in 1,092 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

I always had trouble with the rape, pillage, kill crowd. But then, I've seen SOME gamers who could not be mistaken for being the sharpest knife in the drawer. For them the mantra should be "Rape THEN Pilliage THEN Kill."
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:54 AM   #40
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

"If they take the ship, they'll rape us to death, eat our flesh, and sew our skins into their clothing. And, if we're very, very lucky, they'll do it in that order."
Old 08-19-2018, 04:01 PM   #41
Mark_

Browncoats...
Old 08-22-2018, 01:49 PM   #42
Vassago
Administrator

Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about

Anyone have any interest in Anthem? It looks like it will be a very detailed MMO shooter, which is unusual. I've found most MMOs lack some graphical quality. Gameplay also looks promising.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:56 PM   #43
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

After Dragon Age 2, the whole Mass Effect 3 ending BS, The Old Republic, and Mass Effect: Andromeda, I have zero expectations that Anthem will be any good.

Impressive looking, sure, but Bioware has been putting out almost nothing but crap since EA bought them.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:01 AM   #44
Vassago
Administrator

Dragon Age 3 certainly redeemed Dragon Age 2.

I never got around to the Mass Effect games, but heard they were very good.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:08 AM   #45
Mark_

Most of those games I just can't get into. I've talked to people who play them. Their linear layout and limited player choices (as well as shoot em' all nature) turn me off to them. I like fallout in spite of the emphasis on combat.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: