Iceland Defends Status Quo from Pirate Takeover Oct 29th reports vary (1 Viewer)

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 09:56
The Pirate Part failed to take Icelandic Parliament.
But, one might appreciate the effort and spirit! Computer hackers, programmers, unite!

The Pirates, founded four years ago by a group of activists, anarchists and former hackers, tripled their share of the vote to 14.5%, and together with an alliance of three left-of-centre parties won a total of 27 seats – five short of a majority in the country’s 63-seat parliament. according to UK's [I]The Guardian[/I].

Reuters reported:
With voters still angered by the 2008 financial crisis and the naming of several government figures in an offshore tax haven scandal this year, Icelanders looked to oust the center-right coalition in its current form.

The biggest group, the Progressive Party, lost more than half its share of the vote in Saturday's election after Prime Minister Sigmundur David Gunnlaugsson resigned following revelations in the "Panama Papers" scandal.
On Sunday, current Prime Minister Sigurdur Ingi Johannsson of the Progressive Party officially resigned, a formality as the government did not get a majority. It was hurt badly when Gunnlaugsson resigned as prime minister in April after documents leaked from a Panamanian law firm linked him to an offshore company that held millions of dollars in debt from failed Icelandic banks.

The US Washington Post reported:
A Pirate victory in tiny, prosperous and peaceful Iceland would have offered a dramatic symbol of the anti-establishment tide sweeping the Western world this year. Polls in the lead-up to the vote had the Pirates running even with the Independents, or even topping them.
Comment: Of course the Washing Post can't comment on the Panamanian Wiki Leaks of activity given how many US leaders or close associates were leaked.

The BBC.COM upheld its tradition of putting me to sleep with its report. :D

In a non-related Pirate story - the Pittsburgh Pirates Baseball came in about the same. Perhaps the Icelandic Pirates should attend the next baseball game for notoriety and support?

In the US, many are jealous of countries that can openly run multiple political party candidates. My mail-in Ballot in the US had 8 parties. However, the two parties are able to basically censor any other party candidates in tax-payer funded Presidential Debates and the tax-payer funded NES (National Election Service) Political News Coverage.

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
Today, 15:56
Just goes to show that the common people are getting increasing sick of the elitist A Holes that think they can do what they want.

The Revolution is coming my friend, it is coming...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom