Should drugs be legalised? (1 Viewer)

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
Today, 17:09
I don't smoke, but I did kill a number of brain cells in college through alcohol.

Hey we are all guilty of that, problem is some people haven't got enough to be able to lose some.. :p:D

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:09
For what it's worth, I'd say legalise it all. I don't smoke or drink myself, but I don't have a problem with anyone else doing whatever they want in the privacy of their own home. Does the fact that a lot of drugs are illegal stop people taking them? No. So why not make them legal, tax them to raise some money, and introduce the same kinds of rules that exist for alcohol and tobacco, where certain standards need to be met.

I agree with the point touched on by the previous poster, but would expand it. If someone commits ANY crime while under the influence of ANY kind of drug, I'd double the penalty for it, as well introducing an automatic death sentence or life-without-parole sentence (depending on where you are) for ANY drug related crimes that physically harm anyone else.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:09
I agree with the point touched on by the previous poster, but would expand it. If someone commits ANY crime while under the influence of ANY kind of drug, I'd double the penalty for it, as well introducing an automatic death sentence or life-without-parole sentence (depending on where you are) for ANY drug related crimes that physically harm anyone else.

So you want to punish a person whose judgement is clouded by drugs more than some who coldly plots to do something?

You aren't the only one. In parts of Australia we have a law that more heavily punishes offenders who kill or harm someone with a single punch while drunk than someone who does exactly the same thing while sober.

I don't get it.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:09
So you want to punish a person whose judgement is clouded by drugs more than some who coldly plots to do something?
Yes. The people who are 'coldly' plotting to commit these crimes already have laws in place to deal with them (the success of which is debatable, but outside the discussion being had here). The aim in mind here is to avoid the legalisation of drugs leading to an increase in crime. If people were made aware that, far from being an excuse for illegal behaviour, it would actually make the penalties worse, then I wouldn't mind betting at least some would abstain just in case they did something they wouldn't otherwise do. Don't forget, if they're that way inclined already, they're likely already going to be carrying out the illegal acts while under the influence of illegal drugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom