Access 2016 weirdness (1 Viewer)

CedarTree

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:59
I believe I'm noticing this for the first time with Access 2016...

If I have a live form open (not in design view) and visual basic window open as well, Access keeps "flashing" and while I'm editing code, switching windows back to Access rather then keeping me in the VBA window. I've noticed it with a few databases. I've also recently switched to Windows 10. Anyone else getting this annoying behavior?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:59
Well, I only see this "annoying" behavior if there's a Timer event running. Would this be the case for you as well?

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
I think I have, but figured it was because my mouse moved while I'm sitting on the couch. I blamed it on doggie until now, but IIRC my form was in design view. I don't alter code on an open form as a rule. Come to think of it, just moving the mouse shouldn't give another window the focus without a corresponding mouse click. So either it's the same situation or I will have to tell doggie to stop clicking my mouse buttons. :)

CedarTree

Registered User.
Local time
Yes. What's weird is that it switches over MUCH more rapidly than the timer interval and also, under previous versions of Windows and/or Access, this didn't happen with the same database.

CedarTree

Registered User.
Local time
Now I'm getting the behavior even if I'm in a database where no forms have a Timer.

sxschech

Registered User.
Local time
I've been having this issue with Access 2013. The first few times it happened I recreated the db from scratch, then gave up since starting fresh didn't resolve the problem and over time had added more objects that didn't want to retype or copy paste. It even switches to the open access form when I'm in another app such as word, excel or chrome. Even when I'm not typing or mousing, simply viewing what is on the monitor. Lately, I've notice the windows desktop is flickering when this happens, so could it be related to windows or is it access?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:59
I'm with theDBguy on this one. If there is a form running anywhere in that session even if minimized, a timer event would do this. Other event code on a hidden form would do this.

However, a side comment: Moving the mouse CAN change what is active depending on some settings external to Access. Windows has some customizations that I think are intended for use in "public" kiosks where you want to demonstrate stuff. You might want to check your control panel settings for mouse-over options, selection behavior, and stuff like that.

sxschech

Registered User.
Local time
Like CedarTree, I don't have timers on my form either. Could it be that my form has textboxes with a control source that calls functions such as dlookup, dcount or a UDF that returns a string of text based on a value in another textbox.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:59
sxschech - none of what you describe in post #8 is dynamic. It is simply a bunch of function calls that will synchronously return a value. The behavior in question implies something asynchronous in nature. Now, if you have an external back-end like SQL server and are using pass-through queries, the completion of the query would be asynchronous. But numeric functions are strictly synchronous and will return an answer darned near to immediately.

CedarTree

Registered User.
Local time
So believe me, I have a database with no timers and it's happening. However, the form has a linked table to an sql-server as recordsource. Could that drive it? But again, I've only noticed this with Windows 10 (and/or maybe Access 2016).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom