What is the Max values in a combo box or list box (1 Viewer)

kiss.shoremishra

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:26
Hi All,

I am creating a form where I have a combo box that should hold 55 items in the dropdown but it is only able to hold 36. not sure why

Process #1 XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Process #2 YYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Process #3 ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Process #4 WWWWWWWW
-
-
-
-
-
-
Process #55 hksdghosdgoh but it is only holding 36 options for the user & not 55. Please help

Last edited:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:26
You don’t see a scrollbar?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:26
it must be a problem with the query you are using to fill the control.

kiss.shoremishra

Registered User.
Local time
No I don't see a scroll bar and I am using Row Source Type as "Value List" and Manually typing all the 55 values in the list. I am not using a Table/Query but in case of no go, I might have to use that only. Is there a way to get all 55 list items using value list.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
In theory you can have many thousands of records in a combo box or listbox though clearly huge numbers like that would be unusable.
However the number of rows visible at once in a combo can be modified using the list rows property. By default it is 16.
If you have more records than the list row property you should see a scrollbar as already mentioned.
If not the control may be corrupted. Suggest you delete and replace if so.

Last edited:

kiss.shoremishra

Registered User.
Local time
I did that, I deleted the control & added a new but no go. The max value it is taking is 37 list items from the list of 55. I added a table and created a query but it would be great if I could do that using value list option.

Also what is the difference between Value List and Field List ???

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:26
I did that, I deleted the control & added a new but no go. The max value it is taking is 37 list items from the list of 55. I added a table and created a query but it would be great if I could do that using value list option.

Also what is the difference between Value List and Field List ???
Hi. Field List will list all the fields from the table in your Row Source. When you said you were typing all 55 values in the Row Source but only seeing 36/37, does it mean the rest of the items disappear if you go back to the Value List where you typed all 55 items? If so, you are probably entering more than 255 characters, which I think may be the limit (or maybe it's way higher than that, but you're probably exceeding it, if the list is getting cut off, when you go back into design view).

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
No problem. I checked earlier in case there was any physical limit in rows. There aren't apart from characters so in theory up to that number of rows with one character each!

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
maybe you missed a comma or two within your typed list.
I would enter the list in notepad, and then copy and paste into the value list.

if you have 36 rows, then how can you not have a scrollbar. We mean a vertical scroll bar, not a horizontal one.

it's probably STILL easier to put these 55 items into a table, and base the combo box on a query. That way, you can change the combobox, without needing to redesign your form.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
That does say
'Number of characters in an SQL statement'

would the same apply for values?, just wondering.?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
That does say
'Number of characters in an SQL statement'

would the same apply for values?, just wondering.?

yes, if it is limited, it will be 255, or 65535 - but in that case, I would have thought it would refuse to accept the entry in the value list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom