Unknown access behind Skype (1 Viewer)

uncle-lai

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:05
I have been using Skype for voice chat for quite a while. I have my Skype Privacy setting set to "only people whom I have authorized can call / start chat". But to my supprise when I opened the Zone Alarm log file one day I discovered there had been a lot of attemps to access my computer thru Skype (see the attached screen shot). Now I wonder, what would happen if I don't have Zone Alarm installed?

I have Trillian too, but no such event happen in regard with Trillian.

Attachments

• ZoneAlarmLog.jpg
    ZoneAlarmLog.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 339

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:05
It would depend on the type of 'attack' as to the concequences, here is a link to the Skype security blog and here is an example of an exploit.

I really wouldn't worry about it after all your firewall is doing it's job :) - you'll find there will be thousands of attempted connections to your machine during an internet session if fact a while ago I rebuilt my machine and for once didn't install my firewall first (after I had disabled windows one) before I want online to download some missing drivers and guess what I got the msblaster virus within 10 mins :eek: - a lesson for everyone !!!

webster

Registered User.
Local time
mm. i use sygate and don't see anything, should i change my firewall :)

John

webster

Registered User.
Local time
Oh ok my laptop uses zonealarm and i see them too..
skype uses a lot of bandwidth for me too.

any1 else?

uncle-lai

Registered User.
Local time
In Zone Alarm's Program Control I set to "Block" Skype acting as a server to the internet. I don't realise how this setting affects the performance of Skype, but at least I feel it saver. Same for Trillian too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom