Transition from Access Based form app to web based interface (1 Viewer)

Bilbo_Baggins_Esq

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:19
I have a very well developed Mortgage Management application that has evolved over several years.

It utilizes numerous tables, queries, forms, and reports and a lot of VBA, the vast majority of which is specifically associated with each individual form.

I’m interested in converting the forms and reports to a web interface.

I’ve played around with it a little bit so far, and have performed a “Save As…” > “ Data Access Page” and they look ok, but none of the buttons work.
I had to trick it on the “unbound” forms by binding them to a table, but still, no functionality for the buttons.

I’ve tried to “Export” > XML, but the result was the show ALL the records instead of allowing the user to click the buttons and scroll through records 1 at a time.

I’ve tried to “Export” > ASP, and it did create some files, but when I double click the ASP file, it simply opens the Microsoft Development Environment in editor mode.

Is there something I’m missing o this?
Is there a quick and simple means of simply converting the entire database to functional web pages?

Surjer

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:19
In short, I do not know of an easy way to take an Access Application and just magically create a web site out of it. Matter of fact, I have had to start from scratch on every site I have done. (You can still use your tables to store the data) but the front end will have to be written in something else. If you have certain functions and the access app was written well you can easily copy those functions over to your new web app. But you WILL have to decide WHAT you will write the web app in. Personally I use ASP.NET... There is a free tool online to help you get started but I am not sure how far it will take you. Check out www.asp.net I think...

Salient

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:19
In short, I do not know of an easy way to take an Access Application and just magically create a web site out of it. Matter of fact, I have had to start from scratch on every site I have done. (You can still use your tables to store the data) but the front end will have to be written in something else. If you have certain functions and the access app was written well you can easily copy those functions over to your new web app. But you WILL have to decide WHAT you will write the web app in. Personally I use ASP.NET... There is a free tool online to help you get started but I am not sure how far it will take you. Check out www.asp.net I think...

Would agree there. Considering the introduction of new web technologies such as web2, css, and the one I haven't had a chance to looked at ajax, you are kind of going to look out of date if you simply convert.

Generally when we do a site we use a web designer, jeez those people have an ego, and a couple of web coders.

If wanting to try out asp.net etc Microsoft have free express versions of an IDE for download and a whole lot of stuff to get you up and going quickly.

Personally generally deploy via mysql/php due to the cost of hosting Downunder and the requirement to sign your fiirst born over before getting 200 meg or whatever diisc space. My current linux hosting company is simply ultra cheap, does daily backups, and is quick to answer issues :) Got to be happy there.

If anyone wants to start a thread listing decent asp/asp.net hosting companies that don't want the equivalent of a small African Country's GDP for resouces then I would be very interested. Would love to develop some apps in either asp 2 or asp.net.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom