Web Based Database Question (1 Viewer)

AJordan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:35
I currently create programs in Visual Basic and MS Access. Things are going well but demand is also growing fast. Managing many software packages is becoming more and more time consuming. I am interested in finding out what I need to create the following.
1. A Web based database
2. Clients would log on with a username and password
3. They would have access to their specific files and records
Currently I have a database that I created for small non profits and recreation centers. I create a CD for them and have them download any updates via a link to my website. I also set it up so that it can be accessed over a network.

So I would like to know what software, hardware, cost, etc. is associated with web migration. Also what type of developer can do the performed work.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 06:35
So I would like to know what software, hardware, cost, etc. is associated with web migration. Also what type of developer can do the performed work.
I don't have a lot of experience with web-based databases, but I can tell you in terms of cost, it is $0 if you go with mysql databases and PHP coding. I have done a little bit of that, and my hosting company gives the simplest plan 10 mysql databases, and 1 sql server database to use. so, for your purposes, something like that would probably fullfill your needs.

If you don't know how to write integrated PHP though, you probably won't want to learn because it's a HUGE learning curve, and it's much different than anything you will encounter with Visual Basic. Concepts are completely different, and the syntax is even worse. But if you're interested in no cost, this would be the way to go. I would assume that hiring a developer for web work like this would cost a pretty penny, unless you went overseas. Know what I mean ?

AJordan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:35
Thanks for the idea. I think I will try to just switch to a Access FE/ MySQL BE for now. The trick is seeing if I can connect this over the internet

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:35
There is no license issues with Access mdb used in a web solution.

I have not tried an accdb only Access mdb files 1997 and Access 2003.

It works a treat but it does entail learning ASP or php or a scripting language.

Simon

adammark

Local time
Today, 04:35
Hi Jordan.

Well first of all you have to install Ms access 2008 which is contain all your database and working like a backhand. which is integrated to your programming language software like java and .net.
About hardware normal PS configuration is required.

adammark

Local time
Well first of all you have to install MS Access 2009 to your PC which is contain all your database and working like a backhand. after you have to integrate this tool with your programming language like java and .net.
About hardware you have to use normal configuration.

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
I've implemented a solution using MySQL as a backend and Access as front end.

It was hosted at one office which the other two offices could reach via an encrypted connection. I used SSH which for this specific scenario was because the VPN was already overtaxed and the server was on a separate line and didn't want to buy a VPN solution, so I used SSH which required me to do some .NET assemblies to automate this. However, I don't think it is actually _required_ that you know .NET, Java, ASP, whatever to get this all set up if you already have a VPN or SSL to provide a secure connection, then it's all MySQL's ODBC, Access and VBA, in fact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom