deleting a template from a server (1 Viewer)

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 12:25
all,

i have a template of some sort that is up as a placeholder until i get my website files uploaded to the server so I can display my site the way I want it. I have a problem with the template though. I am not sure if I should just delete the files that are currently there or not. I have my files ready to go, and ready to be uploaded, but the problem is that whenever i enter the URL into my browser for the files that I have uploaded, it doesn't display, and the template page just displays again and again. I am not really sure what the DOS window is telling me, as it does not list actual file names, so I can't understand what is up on the server (i call it the TEMPLATE, but i'm not sure, as I don't understand what the directory in the DOS window is showing me).

does anyone know what I might be doing wrong, and how I can get the template image off the server and upload my files so they display correctly? Here is the directory of the root folder on my server as it stands now:

as you can see, I have an index.HTML file up there, but when I go to my site address, or even type in INDEX.HTML after the domain, I still get the template stuff that Is up there. another thing is that this site was bought by someone in england, so I'm not sure if this is over my head or not.

does anyone recognize this setup? any suggestions anyone?

wiklendt

i recommend chocolate
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:25
as a stab in the dark from when i did stuff like this about 10 years ago, i'd say your files are (or ought to be) in the public_html folder. if i remember correctly, that's where your files will display from.

the "DO NOT UPLOAD HERE" to my eyes suggest that you are not to upload to that root directory.

the "drwx" stuff is telling you the read/write permissions, but i'm not so familiar with what they 'really' mean to be able to explain anything... sorry.

just wondering - why are you not using an FTP client? i use WS_FTP (it's free) and quite easy to use - it gives you an 'explorer' style view of your server files.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
i do use an ftp client wik, and that is DOS. I also use dreamweaver as a client cuz it has a utility built into it.

i have figured out that the index page in the public_html folder is where the template "stuff" is stored, so i am going to be able to change things accordingly now i think. thanks!

wiklendt

i recommend chocolate
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:25
i do use an ftp client wik, and that is DOS.

my apologies - i often forget the power of DOS and get stuck on thinking about pretty GUI softwares. possibly because i find GUI easier to use, but it's still no excuse for ignorance! ;)

(edit: just to avoid misinterpretation, i meant "no excuse for my ignorance!")

Last edited:
Local time
The DOS program you are running is plain jane ftp. As wiklendt said, the letters are permissions. The "d" means directory. The "rwx" stand for read/write/execute. The 3 sections for the "rwx" are for the different people/kinds of people who have that level of access to the files, including the owner, group, and other.

HTH.

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:25
You do at time have to do a [Control][f5] to force a page to refresh. Ie is a slow to realise that a change has been made. In IIS you specifiy the path of the domain so it can be a tier down.

You don't have to use a public_folder as you can now secure subfolders.
Your ISP should have Index.html in the Default documents in IIS or web.config can contain the file.

The only time you will face any real delay are application variables as the Session sometimes lingers and these variable''s aren't available to be reset.

Simon

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
i solved this issue. basically i'm no longer working on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom