Can a virus corrupt Excel/Word file (1 Viewer)

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 11:47
Poster here to attract a larger audience base !

Hello all,

As my title says it all. Is that even possible? My Landlord's computer recently had an attack from a virus called CryptoLocker. Apparently it claims that all (Excel and word) files on the computer including ones that were on a removable disk (that was connected at the time of attack) has been encrypted. It says encrypted, but technically it is not. It has just corrupted the files. Not sure how to go around fixing it. He is quiet old and does not know anything about having multiple backups. So he is at loss, so am I. I thought to give a helping hand...

The above are the two errors that come up for all the documents. The virus has been removed using multiple malware/antivirus program. Unfortunately none of the documents could be recovered.

I am trying almost everything that could be found on the internet, the only thing I have not tried is complete uninstall of the MS package. The problem is he does not have the Key to the MS office package. So reinstallation would be a pain.

I have followed most of the steps provided on:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-things/10-plus-ways-to-recover-a-corrupted-word-document/ (except for step 10, I am looking at 3rd party softwares right now)
http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...text-from-a-damaged-document-HP005189610.aspx
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918429

All proved to be in vain !

Has anyone had this kinda attack. Is there any hope for recovering?

Attachments

• openErr.jpg
    openErr.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 2,050

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 04:47
Could you tell us what virus checker found Crypto Locker?
I read that all virus checks are not equal. I use three different ones out of total fear.

I thought that I had something too on some files I left open too often. It turned out that the wiring to my electrical outlet was faulty. The constant brown-outs that were barely noticeable on the desklamp. But, it eventually destroyed two internal PC power supplies.

The excel file with many tabs, was left open. I now close spreadsheets. They won't open as excel. All my other excel files (that were not left open) work just fine.
I searched in vain for a solution. These were really big, detailed files.
So, if you find anything, please post it. Please.

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 11:47
CryptoLocker is a nasty piece of $***. The Gaurdian has covered a recent article on this issue.

Unfortunately all is lost ! It says only 3% of the victims paid the money, however it did not say how many actually got their data back.

Well one lesson to take away from this is 10 ways to beat CryptoLocker

jon_R

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:47
Can a virus corrupt Excel/Word file
Certainly yes! A computer virus can easily corrupt a file by deleting some part or by overwriting the file. Therefore, it is always recommended to use an Antivirus program to avoid virus attacks.
The errors shown above definitely indicate corruption in the files. As you have mentioned that you are looking for third-party recovery software right now, I would recommend you some best software here.
You can try SysInfoTools products here to recover your data from corrupt Excel and Word files. I will suggest you to check demo version of these SysInfoTools software:
  1. SysInfoTools MS Excel XLSX Recovery software to recover data from corrupt Excel spreadsheets
  2. SysInfoTools MS Word DOC Repair and SysInfoTools MS Word DOCX Recovery and to recover data from corrupt Word documents.
These software are available with free demo version which can be used to examine the software before buying the full version.
Thanks.

abhisheksachdeva

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:47
Certainly yes! A computer virus can easily corrupt a file by deleting some part or by overwriting the file. Therefore, it is always recommended to use an Antivirus program to avoid virus attacks.
The errors shown above definitely indicate corruption in the files. As you have mentioned that you are looking for third-party recovery software right now, I would recommend you some best software here.
You can try SysInfoTools products here to recover your data from corrupt Excel and Word files. I will suggest you to check demo version of these SysInfoTools software:
  1. SysInfoTools MS Excel XLSX Recovery software to recover data from corrupt Excel spreadsheets
  2. SysInfoTools MS Word DOC Repair and SysInfoTools MS Word DOCX Recovery and to recover data from corrupt Word documents.
These software are available with free demo version which can be used to examine the software before buying the full version.
Thanks.

I would not suggest any third party tool. Please peform manual operation. There are many manual operations available by Microsoft free of cost. If error still persist then you can provide answer to Social Technet forum. Here so many MVP's will provide correct answer.

@jon_R Please don't spread spam here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom