Accounting Database Tables & Structure (1 Viewer)

mba_110

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:22
Hi Everyone,

Hope you are doing fine.

I have decided to make accounting system in access, i will start with attached tables and information then later on can be increase and modified as per requirement.

Herewith i have attached my table structure which is very very important you guys can comment and suggest if anything need to be changed, also i want your special attention on my tables relationship which also very very important and crucial for that i have left one column blank for you to mention what table need to be connected with what field and table.

Many thanks in advance for your kind help and suggestions.

Attachments

• Tables.xlsx
    26.7 KB · Views: 129

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:22
This will sound very blunt, but simply put don't bother. Go and buy something off the shelf.

Proper multi-currency accounting is extremely complicated. To give you an idea our commercial package has 397 tables, 683 Views, 962 Stored Procedures and over a 100 custom functions. It has a very complex UI that has taken years to get to a state where we only moan about it 2 or 3 times a day :)

I wouldn't attempt this, and I have built a basic purchasing module that handles multiple currencies, and hundreds of suppliers and thousands of products. Your data layout doesn't even scratch the surface of what's required.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Re: Accounting Database Tables & Structure

I agree with Minty in that you would be much better off buying off the shelf so to speak.

However, there is also the fact that having a project that is close to your heart, having a real need to accomplish the development of a product is one of the best ways of learning MS Access.

If you can start with a basic system that is good enough to enhance your business processes, something that tackles the hardest task, and then build on that.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Dreamweaver

Local time
I have built a small home accounting system which I use all the time but I agree with the other comments as even with what i have working it would be a nightmare to add it to one of my business systems, I'm at work at the present but will screenshot the table stucture with relationships.

I have looked at your excel file and have to wonder the use of two of the table.

Dreamweaver

Local time
These are the tables I use in my personal accounts system it's a work in progress.

Attachments

• 2019-01-16.jpg
    2019-01-16.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 139

essaytee

Need a good one-liner.
Local time
Today, 22:22
I may jump in here as I attempted this a few years ago and got some good advice from forum members. I am not an accountant nor do I claim to be an expert. Here are some of my threads a few years ago, I've gone back over them myself but for some reason, my attachments (screenshots) are no longer present. Anyway, here's the first link and the second link.

I was more interested in a personal accounts program in order to replace Quicken (aka Reckon in Australia). I will finish this one day.

I've attached my schema. I can explain my thought processes in relation to foreign currency handling if interested.

Attachments

• 2014-08-17_23-14-36.jpg
    2014-08-17_23-14-36.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 115

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:22
I don't know if it is still available but there used to be a product called:
"Yes I can run my business"
The product was Access based and you could purchase it as a run time or with source code. The source code version was much more expensive of course but allowed you to customize the app. Here's a link but I didn't look to see what products they currently sell.

http://databasecreations.com/

mba_110

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:22
Thanks guys for your suggestions.

People have different hobbies and passion for their like and dislike, but my hobby and i love the programming it is my passion and it give me a different feelling to achieve something with hard work and learning.

I have decided to leave access and vba and will learn python to develop the desktop application with full resources which access and vba are not able to provide.

I was confused over JAVA vs python but finally picked python to develop desktop and web based applications like HR, Accounting and small business etc, I have chosen python over JAVA because it is easy to code and don't have complexity like JAVA.

My training will be my project from day one.

I hope that i have selected correct programming language to get my things done properly, later I could sell the application or make it as per the requirements.

Many thanks guy for your time, Please do share your views.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:22
Good luck with your new pursuits and python.

I hope that i have selected correct programming language to get my things done properly, later I could sell the application or make it as per the requirements.

In my view programming is what you do after you have identified and analyzed the requirement, tested some sample options for feasibility, then proceeded to detail design and clear specifications.

Database is not programming per se (in my view). There are concepts, design of tables and relationships, vetting of the evolving model, selection of approach and then user interface and underlying process/procedures. It's the processes and procedures and their required functionality that is given to the programmer. Others may have a different view. Access is more of a rad tool that encompasses database and interface.

Please keep the forum advised of your python approach to your HR, Accounting and small business projects.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I'd be very surprised if there wasn't an accounting module for Python.

Good choice by the way!

I need to write some special software for my 3D printer and I think that Python is the way to go with that.

John Phillips has a Google Plus Channel Python bite-size which is very good...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom