Question Access Training Database (1 Viewer)

AGNewton5

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:32
I believe we've already determined that your courses are held in two tables. The parent table that identifies the course and the child identifies the version. The version is what is linked to the person table via a junction table.

You could identify the "current" by using the version number or date or perhaps a flag on the version record that indicates "this is the current version". The process where you set "this is the current version" would need to unset any previous records with this flag. I would need to spend more time thinking about how the queries would work to decide which of the three methods (or possibly something different entirely) would work the best. In fact, a fourth option would be to break all the rules and store the ID of the current version record in the parent record. This on the surface seems to violate normalization rules but I'm not sure and it WILL make queries easier and will be easier to enforce when updating since one and only one value can be stored in the parent record.

One other thing no one has mentioned yet is that you would maintain a list of required courses by job position and this would be used to enforce requirements on employees. The required courses list would not include version. Version would always be assumed to be the "current" version whatever that is. That way, you would never have to change the required courses table when you add new versions of the courses.

If I were to not worry about the revision on the actual training document and just modify the date when a revision occurs, could I then create a conditional format (like in excel) that would highlight/ red flag any employee that needs retraining?

Thanks in advance!

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Today, 07:32
If I were to not worry about the revision on the actual training document and just modify the date when a revision occurs, could I then create a conditional format (like in excel) that would highlight/ red flag any employee that needs retraining?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, but I personally wouldn't recommend doing this.

You can have a query return all classes. This query would be joined to your "Version" table (child table) to return the latest version date (top 1). This does what you are asking for, but still allows you to keep your version history.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:32
If I were to not worry about the revision on the actual training document
That wasn't quite what I meant. What I meant was that when you were defining which courses were required, you would do it at the course level. However, when someone completed the training, you would log it as the specific version.

I don't know what prompts you to look for new training, maybe, once per year, you run a query that finds everyone who has any outdated courses and schedule them to take the new version. Maybe, whenever you add a new version, you trigger producing a list at that time and scheduling all people who are required to take that master course, to take the new version.

AGNewton5

Registered User.
Local time
I think that I may have all the tables that I need to begin this process. I am very new at this and was hoping to get some pointers as to what I need to do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Mold Team Training Database.accdb
    528 KB · Views: 125

AGNewton5

Registered User.
Local time
That wasn't quite what I meant. What I meant was that when you were defining which courses were required, you would do it at the course level. However, when someone completed the training, you would log it as the specific version.

I don't know what prompts you to look for new training, maybe, once per year, you run a query that finds everyone who has any outdated courses and schedule them to take the new version. Maybe, whenever you add a new version, you trigger producing a list at that time and scheduling all people who are required to take that master course, to take the new version.

I wasn't sure what I would do in order to trigger when retraining was needed. We currently retrain all employees after 5 years. Often times one of the many training classes that are required for a specific job is revised. When that happens, all Employees need to retake that specific class even if the 5 years isn't up.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:32
When you add a new course that required retraining, you can find all the people trained using the old version and schedule them for retraining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom