Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Tables

Old 05-15-2019, 04:31 PM   #31
got_access:]
Newly Registered User

got_access:] is on a distinguished road
Re: best practice for lookups in tables?

Yup!
I totally agree!
Someone told me that that feature was predicated on the lookup being established.
However, I just did my own experiment and built a few new tables with similar data and then tried different variants to fine out which one would be needed for the system to auto-populate fields.

A lookup was definitely not needed. But (given a parent/child and one-to-many relationship) link between the Customer table and the Orders table. Where the tblCustomer.CustomerID (primary key) is linked to tblOrders.CustomerID (foreign key) - that did the trick.

It appears to be a feature of the query in datasheet mode. And you're right its not really performing an insert of those fields into a table. The only data value that is inserted is the customerID value inserted by the user. The other fields are simply being displayed as the results of the query - kind of like an auto-refresh - because that link is established. My curiosity was getting the better of me - so I had to find out what it was going on there.

But you're absolutely right - users should not be given access to a query or a table for data-entry. They should be limited to forms and reports as a rule of risk-assessment.

Huge thanks for taking the time on this for me!!

Last edited by got_access:]; 05-15-2019 at 04:50 PM.
got_access:] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #32
theDBguy
Iím here to help

theDBguy will become famous soon enough theDBguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by got_access:] View Post
Yup!
I totally agree!
Someone told me that that feature was predicated on the lookup being established.
However, I just did my own experiment and built a few new tables with similar data and then tried different variants to fine out which one would be needed for the system to auto-populate fields.

A lookup was definitely not needed. But (given a parent/child and one-to-many relationship) link between the Customer table and the Orders table. Where the tblCustomer.CustomerID (primary key) is linked to tblOrders.CustomerID (foreign key) - that did the trick.

It appears to be a feature of the query in datasheet mode. And you're right its not really performing an insert of those fields into a table. The only data value that is inserted is the customerID value inserted by the user. The other fields are simply being displayed as the results of the query - kind of like an auto-refresh - because that link is established. My curiosity was getting the better of me - so I had to find out what it was going on there.

But you're absolutely right - users should not be given access to a query or a table for data-entry. They should be limited to forms and reports as a rule of risk-assessment.

Huge thanks for taking the time on this for me!!
Hi. Good discussions all around. I just hope no one else gets confused when they read this thread. Access offers a lot of ways to try to help the user, and as Dave said earlier, using them doesn't mean the end of the world. It's just some of them tend to include "surprises" if the user is not aware of them. So, the common advice is to avoid them until you get a better grasp of what they can do and are prepared to handle the included consequences. For now, I say focus on your project and try to build it using only best practice suggestions. Once it's working as it's supposed to, you are then free to tweak it any which way you see fit (or willing to experiment with). Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #33
June7
Newly Registered User

June7 will become famous soon enough June7 will become famous soon enough

Doesn't matter if form is datasheet, single, or continuous.

June7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: