Question Vlookup in Access. (1 Viewer)

andydarly

Local time
Today, 14:00
Hi, all.

I am brand new to Access (2010) and know virtually nothing.

I have two tables. One with many fields (and will have hundreds of thousands of records), one of which is City. The other table has just two fields (and about 200 or so records) - City and Country.

I want to enter a new field in the larger table called Country that effectively does what a vlookup would do in Excel. That is to say enter the country that city is in. It needs to do this for all the records and for future records.

Is this possible? And do the two fields have to have the same name in each table (ie City).

Like I say, I am brand new to Access so a step by step "Idiots Guide" would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

Last edited:

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:00
Possible, yes, should you do it no.... or maybe NO, or maybe HELL NO, or maybe NO WAY IN HELL EVEN IF HELL WOULD FREEZE OVER!

Once you start working with databases, forget anything you know about Excel and learn a new way of managing data... this starts with NORMALIZING your data (google that to research it).
The way you should do this is to create a query on the two tables "JOIN" them on city and presto you have a virtual table that has all the columns you need!
Plenty of site / youtubes out there on "How to create a query" if you dont know how.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom