Gathering Data by Email (1 Viewer)

music_al

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:33
Hi

I'm testing the gathering data via email feature. So, I've created a very simple table (tbl_Person) with just 3 fields...

Person_ID
Person_Name
Hair_Colour_ID

Ive created another table (tbl_Hair_Colour) with just 2 fields...

Hair_Colour_ID
Hair_Colour

I've joined them in relationships and created a single form from the Person table. Simple. Works fine.

Now, when I select the Person table and click...
External Data > Create Email
I follow all the steps and manage to send an email to myself. The Hair_Colour field on the form is expecting a number but I want users to select from a drop down box in the email they send.

How would I make this a drop down box in the email ?

Thank you in advance

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:33
If you want to email, as an attachment, the whole data but with Hair_Colour (text) rather than Hair_Colour_ID (number), create a query and use that as the source rather than the table.
If you only want to select one record, selected in a drop down box in the form (not the generated email), then your query needs to filter on the ID in the hidden field in the drop down. That is the row source for the combo would be
select Person_ID, Person_Name from tbl_Person with 2 columns and the first column width set to zero.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
InfoPath was dropped in Office 2013 or 2016 - can't remember which

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:33
Hi music_al,

Just curious... which version of Access are you using? I think the gather data by email requires a matching Access and Outlook versions. Also, not sure if it's still used or useful in later versions of Access.

music_al

Registered User.
Local time
If you want to email, as an attachment, the whole data but with Hair_Colour (text) rather than Hair_Colour_ID (number), create a query and use that as the source rather than the table.
If you only want to select one record, selected in a drop down box in the form (not the generated email), then your query needs to filter on the ID in the hidden field in the drop down. That is the row source for the combo would be
select Person_ID, Person_Name from tbl_Person with 2 columns and the first column width set to zero.

I tried selecting from a query too but that resulted in an error.

music_al

Registered User.
Local time
DBGuy - Im using 2010 in both Outlook and Access

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Gasman, that video just shows the database using simple Text fields but I want fields that are entered from a Combo Box fed from a 2 column query - ID and Text.

Perhaps, but it shows Infopath Forms which do allow dropdowns etc.?
However as isladogs has pointed out, you do not have access to that anymore, so it is mute.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Perhaps, but it shows Infopath Forms which do allow dropdowns etc.?
However as isladogs has pointed out, you do not have access to that anymore, so it is mute.

As the OP is using 2010, InfoPath is available.
However I should also have pointed out that the data collection via email feature was also dropped after A2010 so is it worth spending time learning about this feature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom