Not what rate to charge....But.... (1 Viewer)

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
Yesterday, 16:07
As someone who is considering doing some side work in Access, I'd appreciate some help to the following question:

How are you guys charging when it comes to something you either haven't done before, or haven't done in a long time. I assume that even seasoned pros come across this. For instance, maybe you haven't really had to code a Tree view Control yet, but this particular project warrants it. Between the research and coding for drag and drop, and loading the tree with icons, you eat up 5 hours. Do you charge the 5 or split some difference?

I would rate myself as intermediate in VBA. With most common things I can code off the top of my head, while more in depth stuff requires me referencing my copy and paste code library, and the really advanced stuff I dig into either my books or post on here.

The challenge I face is that I have a hard time estimating how long it would take a seasoned pro to accomplish the same task as me. So, I wouldn't know if I'm charging a fair rate or not. Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Gary

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Yesterday, 17:07
I have a core group of consultants that constantly post different resume's and keep track of the calls and offers. The system is a "one size fits all".
All that matters is the key words. Computers do the search, fit the key words and usually a minimum wage person is going to call. (or from India). One of my friends is logging over 15 phone calls a day for the last 7 business days.
All contractors want to pay between $20 to $50 an hour at this point in the game. My associate who is one of the top XML programmers for very large SQL Server projects use to get $180 an hour five years ago, took a position at $50. Granted, after six months he was able to get attention and get $90.
The contracting firms typically get twice what they pay the actual worker.
If you can go direct to the source, you might get that amount.
But, any firm of any size cuts a deal with a consulting firm on the golf course. It is really, really hard to get a prime contract.
Estimates for fixed bid are really tough. Always over estimate and charge less. It is a one way street. In this aspect, you are no different than a plummer or car mechanic.
Research is time to be charged. If you want to do volunteer work, go find a foundation so you can at least get the deduction. There are plenty of people who don't want to pay or pay what something is worth.
If you are starting out, tell someone $50 and hour. If they offer $20, tell them good luck and don't waste any more time. You will hit 30 of those for the one serious one. Guess what, the 30 are always looking and never accomplishing anything. If you think it should work for you, try using a $20 an hour plumber and see what it really cost you in the end. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom