Thoughts and comments on this set up (1 Viewer)

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:27
MySQL backend residing on Azure. Single Access frontend on MS OneDrive which will be shared by five or six users. Two or three of these users will be away from the main office and using the shared front end on laptops.

Would be interested to hear any thoughts or advice on this setup.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:27
Hi. Since the backend is online anyway, which means each user/laptop would need Internet access to use the Access frontend, I would suggest each user have their own copy of the frontend on their computer instead of sharing a single copy via OneDrive. If you update the FE, you can put it on OneDrive and ask each user to download a copy.

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Hi. Since the backend is online anyway, which means each user/laptop would need Internet access to use the Access frontend, I would suggest each user have their own copy of the frontend on their computer instead of sharing a single copy via OneDrive. If you update the FE, you can put it on OneDrive and ask each user to download a copy.
I would have prefered each user to have thier own copy of the frontend but the powers that be seem to prefer a single, shared frontend. Does anyone foresee a problem with this?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I would have prefered each user to have thier own copy of the frontend but the powers that be seem to prefer a single, shared frontend. Does anyone foresee a problem with this?
I'd be one of those. Sharing a single copy of the FE increases the chances of corruption. In addition, using OneDrive adds a bit more complexity to the mix. It may work fine or it may not. We won't know until you have tried it for a while. Just remember, Access was never meant to be used in the cloud.

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
I'd be one of those. Sharing a single copy of the FE increases the chances of corruption.
That's what I thought would be a problem with an Access backend but I have no experience of using MySQL for the backend.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
That's what I thought would be a problem with an Access backend but I have no experience of using MySQL for the backend.
Using an Access frontend with a MySQL or SQL Server or Oracle backend is fine. It's sharing/using the same Access frontend file on OneDrive or Dropbox or GoogleDrive that could be a problem.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:27
Code:
Are the PTB Access experts? Tell them NO!

Have you ever noticed that the date/time of your Access FE changes when you open and close it? That is because Access updates stuff while the application is working. And that is why multiple users should NEVER, EVER share a FE. When you open the FE part of it will get loaded into memory on your computer. Some part will get loaded into memory on each other user's computer. Eventually, as they close objects and the database, Access will want to update the physical copy of the FE but other people may still have the file open. Most of the time Access works it out (with the help of the .laccdb) file but not always.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom