Inserting time into a cell through a checkbox (1 Viewer)

kviglas

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:45
Hello,

I want to create an excel file with daily jobs for some colleagues to check in whether they are done or not. In detail, I want to create 2 checkboxes for Start Time and End Time per row and as soon as they tick the box, the time should be entered into the proper cell and should not be able to change afterwards. Also, as soon as the end time checkbox is checked, the row must be locked. A copy of the file should be somehow like the one in the attached file:

Any help would be welcomed ...

Attachments

• jobs.zip
    8.9 KB · Views: 249

supercharge

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:45
This can be done easily in Access, more coding options, more dynamic, more security options of letting users access limited controls.

Are you adding more job names later? If so, looks like a project in Access than Excel.

shades

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:45
Access might be better, but not necessarily. It depends on many factors. Obviously this will involve code in Excel, but is doable.
________
DRUG TEST KIT

Last edited:

supercharge

Registered User.
Local time
I didn't say it's not doable.

Try the attachment:

Attachments

• jobs.zip
    9.5 KB · Views: 252

shades

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:45
Yep. It is that phrase "depends on many factors". :) I have to remind myself that sometimes the initial presentation of an issue/problem may not give the full scope of the problem.
________

Last edited:

kviglas

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:45
Firstly, I thank you for the sample.

I must say that I also prefer Access, but my boss doesn't! If I use Access, everything must work through a form, right?

In any case, the idea is to be able to maintain a daily file, that will be used with a new name the next day (for example job051213, jobs051214, etc.), so I must have to copy it from time to time. I must also be able to make some changes from time to time by inserting or removing jobs. So, I must find the best environment to work with.

Which would be a good book for me to read to be able to solve problems like this?

Last edited:

supercharge

Registered User.
Local time
Based upon what you described, unless you use a form in Excel, Access would be a better environment since you're actually storing data. Also, Access gives you a better searching ability as you're filling up the spreadsheet. Also, unless you're using a different set of codes than what I have in the sample, it'll be a hassle to remore or add jobs later on because you'll have to create a similar set of coding for each check button you're adding.

So, if you boss prefers Excel, you can still work with Access then display data in Excel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom