Something about "GIT" I'm not getting? (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:07
After several failed attempts to learn how to code in Android Studio, mainly because my PC was to low a spec to run the emulator. (I now have a new PC!) Anyway, research suggested using "Visual Studio Code" I've tried it, using Flutter and Dart, and it's absolutely fantastic! I am currently building myself a calculator following along in this video, ---

Flutter Coding Challenge: Building a Calculator App

By:- Samarth Agarwal

and everything has worked so far! --- However I'm aware that my efforts would probably benefit from linking Visual Studio Code to Git. Git is everywhere, and seems to be the de facto place for saving backups and the like. I can't work out how to use it? My problem is I just can't get my head around it!

All the tutorials I have found just don't seem to fit with me, in other words there's some basic attribute of Git that I'm not grasping.

So my question is, anybody found anything useful for explaining how to use Git?

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:07
However I'm aware that my efforts would probably benefit from linking Visual Studio Code to Git. Git is everywhere, and seems to be the de facto place for saving backups and the like.
Git is a source code control system. Backups are a side effect of using source code control but not its main purpose. So, I gather, you are unfamiliar with SCC in general.

While Git is very powerful and very popular, it is not the only source code control system around. There are reasons why it is so popular, but on the other hand, I see people struggling with the complexity of Git while they don't actually need it.

Starting to use SCC with Git is jumping in at the deep end.

So, I would recommend learning about SCC benefits and concepts in general before tackling Git. I wrote some stuff on the benefits of source code control and how to find a suitable SCC-System. - These texts are focused on Access development, but the basic principles apply generally.

Another recommended starting point is the book Version Control by Example; by Erik Sink. This book also covers distributed version control and Git in particular.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I gather, you are unfamiliar with SCC in general.

Exactly!

Thank you Philipp that's an absolute top-notch article! Will have a peruse and see what I think. From the general gist of the article, I'm wondering if I'm a bit early in using thinking of using git, although I think it's something I've got to get my head around at some stage!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Update!

Following the video instructions, I now have a calculator on my phone that I built myself! One chuffed little bunny!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom